Smith and Wesson surprise!

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson surprise! within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; First let me say that I like S&W. I've owned several and never had a problem with any of them. They have a lifetime warranty ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By Elk Hunter
  • 1 Post By JD
  • 3 Post By Brademan

Thread: Smith and Wesson surprise!

Smith and Wesson surprise!

First let me say that I like S&W. I've owned several and never had a problem with any of them. They have a lifetime warranty and have always seemed to stand behind their guns.

Which makes it all the more puzzling to have to report this recent experience with their service group. My 442 j-frame has been dead on reliable for years, but, about a week ago, for an unknown reason, the screw that holds the cylinder release button on.......disappeared. Picked up the gun and ... gone! Of course I search, but it has gone to wherever the elephants go to die. So I called a couple of my local gun shops to see if they might just have the screw. Nope. They want to sell me a whole new latch. Not quite ready to do that, so I went on line and found the S&W service page. There is a phone number for the service and warranty department, so I call them......and the fun starts.

Three times...3 TIMES...I was directed to hit a number for the service department, and each time that number takes me to an operator voice message that tells me to hold for a live person....then it tells me that the live person I am waiting for (wait for it)....IS NOT ON THE SYSTEM I AM USING. Then it recycles me into the que. I wait and the whole process runs again.

Hang up, redial.....same thing again.

Not cool. So I go to the email form and write them a semi-frustrated note briefly detailing the voicemail problem and politely asking for the screw I need. I'll happily pay for the screw, I tell them......I just want the gun to work.

No response from S&W yet, after two days.

I am not about to send the silly gun in, just to get a screw replaced, when I can do it in about 30 seconds at home. I just want the screw. I have never heard of anything like this from Smith and Wesson. Now it's the principle of the thing. I could drive up to a fairly huge gunsmith about 45 miles from me, but that much gas for a $2 screw is also a pain the ......

Any ideas?
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

2. Remove Ads

That's really suprising, I've never come up short on getting screwed! Oh, back to the post. Don't give up, keep at em, they will respond, who knows, might be a "Leap Year" thing.
    Brademan likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I know where the screw is. Go back to the range its laying on the ground right where you were shooting. I was shooting my Colt a while ago and noticed I had a couple of screws loose (no comments from the peanut gallery needed) anyway I thightened them and went on shooting. May not be what happened to you, just a thought.

maybe we are supposed to read that part of the owners manual that recommends checking for loose screws and nuts before using the product.
    Brademan likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Brademan View Post
    I'll happily pay for the screw...

Any ideas?
    BROWNELLS

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Go thru Customer Service first.
    I had an issue with mag base plates splitting and they sent out replacements PDQ.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    +1 on Brownells. Either they or MidwayUSA should have the part.

VIP Member
    Is it Shot Show season? Everyone packs up and heads out for that event.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Is it Shot Show season? Everyone packs up and heads out for that event.
    That was last month.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    For what it's worth, and this may not fit your situation, I've been able to find lost screws and small parts by thoroughly sweeping the floor into a small pile, then going through the pile. A magnet has helped me find small screws, cotter pins and such that I've inadvertently dropped into dirt, gravel, and grass. This all supposes you have a good idea where the item is, of course. Curious out the lack of response; Persevere!

Lots of good suggestions here, but......

....here is the follow up: No response from S&W yet so I called them back today. Finally got through to a live person, after being the 13th person in the queue, and Tom was quick to say, "No worries. I'll send you a new one at no cost." Of course, it will take a few weeks, since the screw is on back order, but he took care of it.

So, in spite of the goofy phone system, I'm being well served by the folks at Smith and Wesson. Nice to know that good results are actually out there, if you persevere.
    JD, oneshot and airslot like this.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Links