Question about using Mineral Spirits to clean a gun

This is a discussion on Question about using Mineral Spirits to clean a gun within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I was wondering if anyone had any experience using mineral spirits or other solvents to clean their gun? I recently used a dry cleaning solvent ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Question about using Mineral Spirits to clean a gun

Question about using Mineral Spirits to clean a gun

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using mineral spirits or other solvents to clean their gun? I recently used a dry cleaning solvent ( main chemical is mineral spirits ) on my Springfield XD40, i soaked the barrel and slide in it for about 15 mins and then used my air compressor to blow out the excess, it seemed to work really well and removed a ton of build up from the weapon, this was a used gun and it was the first time i really got in there and cleaned it. I was wondering if anyone else has used this or had problems with it? I did a final cleaning with hopps #9 and lubed it when i was finished. Thanks for the help!!

2. Remove Ads

I use denatured alcohol myself.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Gunscrubber and compressed air if it's really bad, but normally Gunzilla, Singer Sewing Machine oil from Walmart's notions section, sometimes a dab on the rails with high temp/pressure lithium engine assembly grease with moly and graphite from a parts store. Always test a solvent on a hidden surface, if you're not sure.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

these are stripper solvents and will not hurt the metal but might be hard on the finish

Why mess with all that Plus on many modern Weapons some stuff can mess them up it just not needed.

VIP Member
    I used mineral spirts to clean a couple old enfields. I had the rifle all apart, no wood on it. But that was more of a project. I re blued it wonce finished. Worked good on the old rifle. Was a 1941 Lee Enfield No4 MkII that I made into a "T" model.

I would not use on a newer or just to clean a weapon.

Ex Member
    If you can get it cheap go for it. I use it to soak old military bolts and misc parts but Brake clean is just as easy.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I don"t have any experience useing mineral spirits to clean my guns.

I am all for improvising on things when it is needed, but (call me gullible when it comes to marketing) as I have said before, I use window cleaner to clean my windows, bathroom cleaner to clean my bathrooms, carpet cleaner to clean my carpets, brake cleaner to clean my brakes, engine oil to oil my engines and GUN cleaner and GUN oil to clean and oil my GUNS.

But that's just me. (-:
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Mineral spirits might be okay for cosmoline removal. I think hot water and dish-washing liquid would do better. First you need to know the properties of mineral spirits and the properties of metals and coatings and how they may interact. Would you use gasoline to wax your car? In the grand scheme of things related to guns, I'll admit......I occasionally use a drop of mineral spirits in my tumbling media. Other than that, I would never use it on my guns just like I'd never use WD-40 on my guns. I suggest you don't use mineral spirits to clean guns. An old Rochester carburetor maybe. But not on the guns.

I was using brake cleaner on my RIA 1911 compact,it was a parkerized finish,After a few cleanings I noticed that ir started removing the finish.I ended up totally stripping it and refinishing it in "Gun Metal Blue" Gun Kote.I haven't used brake cleaner on my guns since,Gunzilla is what I use and it really cleans well
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Mineral Spirits is also called Stoddards Solvent and that is OK for all metal gun parts. It should also be just fine for polymer frames but, I wouldn't soak any polymer frame in any solvents for extended periods of time.

Mineral Spirits and a toothbrush is excellent for cosmoline removal.

Many of the Higher Up solvents can be harmful to polymers.

Some Dry Cleaning fluids contain (or are) perchloroethylene which is basically a Contact Cleaner type of degreaser.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I don"t have any experience useing mineral spirits to clean my guns.

I am all for improvising on things when it is needed, but (call me gullible when it comes to marketing) as I have said before, I use window cleaner to clean my windows, bathroom cleaner to clean my bathrooms, carpet cleaner to clean my carpets, brake cleaner to clean my brakes, engine oil to oil my engines and GUN cleaner and GUN oil to clean and oil my GUNS.

But that's just me. (-:
    What do you do with mink oil?
    Just pokin at ya
    AZJD1968 and msgt/ret like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've used MS on metal parts with no ill effects. One might try a small test on some of these after-market refinishing jobs though.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    What do you do with mink oil?
    Just pokin at ya
    Everyone has a different imagination, but it is fun! You should try it sometime!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I do not think it would hurt any of the metal parts of the firearm, but if you do use, please use in well ventilated area. It is also very flammable. Safety first.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links