Removing revolver cylinder for routine maintenance?

This is a discussion on Removing revolver cylinder for routine maintenance? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Tonight I was watching the block of shooting shows on Outdoor Channel, and during one of the Midway USA sections they did a brief synopsis ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Removing revolver cylinder for routine maintenance?

Removing revolver cylinder for routine maintenance?

Tonight I was watching the block of shooting shows on Outdoor Channel, and during one of the Midway USA sections they did a brief synopsis of cleaning revolvers. Aside from still using a rod and jag from the muzzle end (I prefer bore snakes to help protect the crown), they also recommended loosening the forward screw on the sideplate, and removing the yoke and cylinder for routine maintenance.

This is just something I haven't seen done as routine maintenance for a revolver, in fact I have always been told it is best to leave the sideplate and screws alone unless you really know what you are doing. So, I was just wondering, is this routine practice among shooters? I don't think I have seen it in any of the owners manuals for my revolvers when they cover maintenance.

Any thoughts?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I don't really like messing with D/A revolvers. But I do drop the cylinder out of my smith via the side plate screw. The fit on the sideplate itself is so snug I really don't have any concern. I feel better getting the yoke cleaned since I don't want to do a full breakdown. And it's easy to reassemble backwards so I get to spend more time playing with my n-frame lol. Not much to screw up there, though... unlike my super blackhawk which I did an embarrassing number on last time I did a full breakdown (s/a only) .. that will cost me.
    USAFFire likes this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

I will do a complete teardown of my S&W revolvers once or twice a year. Always have. The sideplate screws are not interchangeable, so pay attention to what came out of where. Use caution when unscrewing the extractor rod from the cylinder/crane - most new ones are reverse threads. Also, some of the extractor rods are difficult to break loose, so it pays to buy an extractor rod clamp so you won't damage the finish. Brownells sell them for about $22. Here is a picture of one. They work great and I highly recommend one.
    extractor rod tool.jpg

VIP Member
    I routinely take the cylinders off my revolvers as part of the cleaning. It is easier to clean the bores without scratching them or the rest of the gun and it is the only good way to clean out the inside of the center bore of the cylinder that rides on the yoke. Be careful when removing and reinserting the screw not to scratch the weapon or mar the screw.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Administrator
    If you just remove the forward side-plate screw then you are correct you can just separate that cylinder group from the revolver frame. Really if you have a properly fitting screwdriver and you are only removing that one screw then there is nothing to mix up with regard to the side-plate screws.

It's really a harmless procedure that might make a fastidious cleaning of the cylinder go a bit easier. Your only real concern should be to make sure you don't lose the screw.

That screw (I assume we're talking about a S&W revolver here) does not have any other function but to secure the cylinder so no other internal parts are going to be affected by loosening or doing a complete removal of that forward screw.

AKA no springs or parts are going to go "boing" and fly across the room if that screw or the cylinder group is removed.

Sponsor
    SW- Is this the screw above the trigger on the right side? I have honestly never considered removing the cylinder while cleaning. I agree though that it would be easier to clean separated from the revolver.

VIP Member
    Correct. Right side, forward most screw above the trigger on the sideplate.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    If you have never taken the cylinder off the gun for cleaning you will be surprised at how much gunk is in the center hole of the cylinder where it fits over the crane.

Once you have the crane/cylinder removed from the frame they separate easily. Clean the part of the crane that goes into the cylinder and apply some oil or gunzilla and put it back in the cylinder and spin it. Remove it, wipe it down and repeat as necessary. When done, your cylinder will spin more freely, be clean and oiled. Now clean the chamber bores and the ends of the cylinder and it is good to go.

Finally, clean the rest of the weapon and reassemble. This will keep your gun in top shape.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Thanks all for the responses.

I guess somehow I just missed this over the years, I do think it would make cleaning a lot easier.

I also think I will try it on my Rossi 461, which is a K-frame clone, before I try it on any of my Smiths.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Sponsor
    I always gall screws, I know the proper screwdriver limits this. What do you guys recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    I always gall screws, I know the proper screwdriver limits this. What do you guys recommend?
    Amazon.com: Weaver Deluxe Gunsmith Tool Kit: Sports & Outdoors

Administrator
    If you check out this YouTube Vid...at 1:30 he takes out the front screw and removes the cylinder and yoke. See that channel at the end of the yoke? that is where the cylinder screw end just rests in that channel to hold the cylinder and yoke group into the frame. That is the only function that screw serves...except to (of course) also help to hold the side plate on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KgAiiYOolg
    marcclarke likes this.

I don't make it a habit, but ever so many moons I'll take the cylinder off.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I take the side plate off and remove the cylinder as needed. Maybe once a year or so. No big issue doing that, or removing the main spring and hammer either. But you really need to know what you are doing before messing with the trigger springs.

Also the extractor rod is easily bent just so you know.

Give your cylinder a spin, it should spin freely with little or no drag, if this is the case, your probably good to go. If it doesn't, it needs a good cleaning.

Youtube has some good step by step vids on how to do this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links