What is your least favorite gun to field strip

This is a discussion on What is your least favorite gun to field strip within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I used to hate cleaning my Kimber Ultra CDP...hate those paperclips. I can take my Glock-36 apart behind my back...I said I could, not that ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What is your least favorite gun to field strip

I used to hate cleaning my Kimber Ultra CDP...hate those paperclips.
    I can take my Glock-36 apart behind my back...I said I could, not that I do...pretty simple.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The KelTec P3AT
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Sig p238... It bit me once on my first attempt to strip it. Even though it was my own fault, I still get leery when it comes time to clean it.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Commander 1911 with a bull barrel. There's no bushing and I rarely have a bent paper clip handy!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I must be the only one who has trouble with the bolt on my 10/22. Trouble every time.... I hate that bugger!
    ericb327 likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Least Favorite: Colt 1911, due to the inordinate difficulty in turning the barrel bushing; need a separate easy-to-lose special tool to turn the barrel bushing.

Most Favorite: HK P7M8. Grab slide with left hand, depress takedown button with thumb of left hand, draw slide to the rear, lift slide off of frame. Takes far less time to do it than to read the previous sentence.
    I have to agree on both accounts

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I was going to second the Ruger 22/45 but about 20 others beat me to it. Problem is I don't shoot it all the time and forget the little tricks to putting it back together. I end up messing with it for about 10-20 minutes. then I remember the trick and can do it in seconds. I don't have any problem with any 1911s or glocks. I just got a Ruger 22LR revolver with adjustable sights so I don't think I will shoot the 22/45 as much. I think the 22/45 is fun to shoot and I use lots of ammo with it. We call them ammo burners.

As far as Rifles My FNAR is a pain. but I am used to Garands, M1As and Ar-15s.

I hate cleaning the ruger 22/45. I feel exactly the same way. If I shot it all the time I would remember the tricks. But I dont and I have to read the manual, and that guns re assembly really pisses me off.

On the other hand, glocks are sooo easy.
    ericb327 likes this.

Full-size 1911. Always a PITA to align the barrel link hole with the frame holes and at the same time try not to scratch the frame up while putting the slide stop back in. Most steps in field stripping of any firearm I have ever owned, too. Gotta depress the recoil spring plug, turn the barrel bushing, remove the recoil spring and plug, remove the slide stop lever, then you can take the slide off the frame...maybe I'm just too spoiled with the ease of removing a simple pin on my two Kel Tecs and the takedown lever on my M&P9.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RC12 View Post
    Sig p238... It bit me once on my first attempt to strip it. Even though it was my own fault, I still get leery when it comes time to clean it.
    PITA to reassemble!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I love buying Ruger Mk's that people cant get back together.
    3 so far.........
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I can't believe all the complaints about the Ruger Marks! Sheesh, it's not THAT difficult, guys... not a Glock but it's not a Garand, either. I've got two and I'm looking to add a third. Besides, it doesn't need to be stripped much more than about every brick or so. If anyone is so totally upset with theirs, PM me and let's make a deal. Otherwise, get a pistol-length bore snake and a small toothbrush and that takes care of cleaning for the first 10,000 rounds or so.

And the CW9? Line up the index marks, push out the slide stop, and the gun just about falls apart in your hands. Sharp edges, for sure, but hardly complex.

My least favorite to field strip so far is the Garand, but that's mostly out of its newness to me and a few detail parts I haven't committed to visual memory yet. But I love and respect that gun so much, I just view that as the price of getting to know it without a drill instructor barking at me.
    I imagine it's all what you are familiar with, I don't care for the Ruger Mark's either, because I'm not all that familiar with them, but I'm surprised at how many think the 1911 is difficult, when it's one of the easiest for me, because I am familiar with them.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Hardest Civilian= any 1911. Best pistol made, but tries your patience like no one's business. Guess that could be military, too.
    Hardest Military= toss up between the MK 19 and Browning M2. Taking apart M2 is easy, but having to use a headspace and timing gauge--ergh! Cool concept about barrels though, and proves we had some smart people back in early 20th century. But if I were to got stabbed through my nomex on more time on the 'Fire' gauge... As for the MK 19-- GOD FORBID IT'S CHARGED WHEN THE BACK PLATE IS TAKEN OFF!!!! Saw a kid break his sternum doing it. Not even sure how he muscled the charging plate off in the first place.

Easiest Civilian= toss up between Glock and SA XDm 3.8. Both have about the same few movements needed.
    Easiest Military= M4. Used to do speed drills when I was a Joe and as long as I don't have to take out the firing pin cotter pin, it's a breeze.

VIP Member
    What is your least favorite gun to field strip
    ....one that is not mine...unless I'm getting paid to do it

of the ones I own, I guess the least favorite would be.....Keltec P11 even though its not that bad
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links