Changing sight on S&W 63 revolver, punch broke off

This is a discussion on Changing sight on S&W 63 revolver, punch broke off within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Help! I bought a used Smith 63-4 22lr revolver and was changing the front sight from the black ramp to a fiber optic. Unfortunately my ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Changing sight on S&W 63 revolver, punch broke off

Help! I bought a used Smith 63-4 22lr revolver and was changing the front sight from the black ramp to a fiber optic. Unfortunately my 1/16" pin punch snapped off when I was pushing out the small pin holding the ramp in. I tried another punch from the other side with no success. I put a little lubrication oil in the hole to see if it would help loosed the punch but so far no luck. I can't find my WD40 but am planning to buy a can to see if that helps. Anyone have any suggestions before I take it to a gunsmith? Thanks!
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

Skip the WD40, but PB'laster might help.

Some pins are "handed" and can only be removed in one direction, typically left to right (i.e., push the pin from the left so it is driven out the right side).

Are you sure the 1/16 punch was small enough?

If you're confident that the pin you're driving out is 1/16" or smaller, you could try using a 3/64" (or #54, 55 or 56) drill as a pin punch, but make sure you wear safety glasses!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Smitty can fix my guns any time. His remedy should do the trick. Hope you've got a padded vise to hold things down and hope you take due care not to mar anything. At least it's a stainless steel model that could be dress down if a little slip occurred.

Kroil is a good product for the purpose as well. In fact, my current Kroil is creeping out of its can mysteriously after some months. I always wondered about the claim that it can penetrate 1/3,000,000th of an inch and if so then how does it stay in its folded metal can. Now I got a can of the stuff which is trying to get out.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks guys. I should have been clearer, the pin is out but the tip of the original punch is stuck in the hole. I'll see about trying the recommended lubricant, otherwise I'll try the gunsmith before I do any permanent damage.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

Administrator
    Try using some penetrating oil and repeatedly tapping the barrel many many times lightly with a large plastic screwdriver handle.
    That won't ever mar, ding, or damage anything.
    Set up some harmonic vibration which will help the penetrating oil get where it needs to go.

Sometimes just flooding it with penetrating oil and letting it sit overnight works.
    Try remaking the punch tip with a grinder on the same punch and moving/tapping the broken piece out from the opposite direction.

You might also try warming the area a bit with a heat gun and then quickly attempting to tap the broken punch tip out.

You should be able to eventually get it to move. Whatever you do...don't get mad at it. That never helps.

Don't try to drill it out. Take it to a gunsmith before you even think about drilling it out.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

once the punch tip is jammed in you will have to drill and tap it out

Senior Moderator
    Grind off the sharp point of a nail that fits and use it on the backside to punch out what is left of the pin. Otherwise, do what QKShooter recommends.
    Be patient with it, be gentle.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I would suggest taking it to a gunsmith before doing too much damage.

VIP Member
    The inappropriate application of force during home gun repairs usually results in the appropriate gunsmith repair.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    The inappropriate application of force during home gun repairs usually results in the appropriate gunsmith repair.
    That fact alone has bought me a few guns over the years.
    ctr likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

GasSmitty has it right...skip the WD40, get some Kroil, purchase the correct pin punch in bronze or brass..or "McGiver it" with a drill index...drills are risky brittle...I'd jig it up in a machinist vise with some 1/4" dead soft copper plate under a hand press
    and ease it out...nothing violent, just steady press pressure, I'd suggest a machine shop, its just about having the right tools..my $.02...

Sponsored Links