Want to test Tuf-Glide and Eezox... How?

This is a discussion on Want to test Tuf-Glide and Eezox... How? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; To protect my weapon from rust I've been using tuf-Cloth (which holds/contains tuf-glide) and I think it works pretty well... but I do always look ...

Thread: Want to test Tuf-Glide and Eezox... How?

Want to test Tuf-Glide and Eezox... How?

To protect my weapon from rust I've been using tuf-Cloth (which holds/contains tuf-glide) and I think it works pretty well... but I do always look for the next best thing...

I know there are many followers of eezox so I want to compare it's rust protection capabilities...

can anyone give me some ideas? go to home depot and buy some kind of steel i guess? (what could I use? I tried with kitchen knives before and nothing happened! lol)

what should I use to get rust on the items? dunk it in a big cup with salt? water from the ocean? lol...

needs to be home friendly, I can't have misters going off on the apartment and all lol...

I'll be on TDY for 2 weeks and probably won't be able to check, so when I get back on the 16th, I'll start my test.

so, let me know how I should do this.

if anyone else would like me to test an oil, just let me know...

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

A few years ago I saw some home tests in which a guy used nails sprayed/dipped with salt water and left to stand. I don't know if nail steel and gun steel can compare in any way, but it got me interested enough to do my own that was enough to convince me. Haven't seen a home-made way to test lubricity, left that to the pros.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Sponsor
    I saw one test done with steel wool. Several different products including Eezox and WeaponShield(sp?) were used to treat steel wool pads and then the treated pads were sprayed once a day with salt water solution.

IIRC, the Eezox won hands down on the rust prevention side of things.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

hmm, both the nails and steel wool sound like a good idea.

I got some eezox and I gotta say it's a serious PITA to apply in my opinion.

it came in an aerosol can. thing is, it must be applied VERY VERY thin. well with the aerosol can, this just isn't possible. first time I used it, it was WAY too much of it... let it sit for 24 hours and it was still there.

then I called the guy who sells it online and he told me to spray it very lightly on a patch and use the patch to apply it. this sort of worked, but even with that thin coat, there was still very little residue. thing is, when this thing doesn't evaporate it gets sort of tacky/sticky. I then wiped then the left over, and supposedly my pistol was now protected for a long time...

well fast forward to 3 days, my whole room and all my pistols that I used this on (especially the FN 5.7) still smelt like it. it doesn't smell bad, but it's very strong...

that being said, I just cleaned my M&P with my regular Martine tuf-cloth. I apply it with the cloth, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then wipe off the sticky stuff marine version leaves, and I'm set.

so right now, I'm not loving the eezox because how pita it was to apply.

I don't know if this helps, but I'd be curious about use of the teflon (I think-not home, so can't doublecheck) cloth (it is yellow) for this purpose. I use that on the exterior of my SIG and BDE, as I read somewhere that it works fine for preservation - better than just "oil", won't leave finger prints, etc. This sounds similar to the Martine tuf-cloth you mention, but without having to wipe it off after application. Good luck ont the TDY.

Links