Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns? - Page 2

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I don`t mind cleaning my guns at all, its just part of being a gun owner....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?

I don`t mind cleaning my guns at all, its just part of being a gun owner.

I used to hate it but now I have come to enjoy cleaning my guns after a range trip.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

You take care of them, they'll take care of you!
    barstoolguru likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I don't absolutely love cleaning my guns, but after a shooting session I like knowing I did all I could to keep her running in tip-top shape. That way, when I need her, she'll come swinging with everything she's got.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

you are not just cleaning ; you are inspecting too

The majority of the time, I really do enjoy it. As I'm cleaning, I'm also checking over things. It also allows me some quiet time. All throughout the day, I'm either hearing people talking, TV, radio, sirens, etc. So it's nice to just relax and clean them. I find it quite peaceful.

Some do their best thinking on the toilet or in the shower, I do mine while cleaning my weapons.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I find it to be oddly therapeutic.
    LaraCroft10 and shockwave like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I was pretty psyched to clean out my dad's guns after my first outing with my him. We ended up cleaning a 22 and a 357 revolver along with a 30-06, I was not so psyched after a little bit... they were pretty dirty though and I'm pretty anal, then my dad was a Marine so he was telling me the standards that he had to follow in the Corps, so I tried to clean em like a Marine would... I tend to get extremely anal/careful with stuff when I'm doing it for the first time. You should have seen me when I brewed my first batch of beer, you would've thought I was making meth.

I really enjoy the cleaning process, my partners are 12 and 17 and it's a good time to sit around and BS and be a family. I also do enjoy the actual cleaning I am sort of a clean freak on the guns ( not my room ) and I like to see the difference from beginning to end. But the best part is spending the time with the boys for sure.

I have to admit that I rather like it - unless it is a late evening after a day at the range and I have to get up early to go to work. Otherwise, I honestly like the notion of taking care of something important in my life (besides my wife). I like the thought of improving (or insuring) performance that is solely up to my attention to detail. I like the intimacy of examining the parts and tending to them. As a caveate to all this, I only get to shoot on a monthly basis or so. I can understand if one shoots every week or more, and with multiple weapons, that it would become quite a chore. I try to only two shoot handguns at most during each trip - it would become more burdensome to clean more than two at one sitting.

Definitely not one of my favorite past times but I do it. I don't mind the handguns too much but I really don't like cleaning the rifles. I do keep them clean because I was taught if I take care of my weapons now they will take care of me when I need them. For some reason though I have always loved the smell of Hoppes so I at least get some pleasure from it.

I like to clean some of my guns. The ones I can take apart and put back together without a degree from MIT. (UGH! Love to shoot my Mark III but hate to clean it.)

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I like it a lot more since I started using simple green!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I actually enjoy it. Cleaning a couple of guns is OK and enjoyable but cleaning 4+ gets to be too many and takes too long.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Cleaning my weapons to me is extremely therapeutic. i literally lose myself when i start cleaning my weapons.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links