Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns? - Page 3

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I keep my carry gun very clean. All other fun gun handguns are not cleaned after every shooting session. I just do not have the ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?

Administrator
    I keep my carry gun very clean.

All other fun gun handguns are not cleaned after every shooting session. I just do not have the time.

I will wipe down the exterior with a lightly oiled cloth and then zip lock bag them when I get home and pop a Rust-Blox Vapor Tab or two into each bag and I will continue to shoot them multiple times until they really need to be cleaned.
    Then I will usually do them all at one time.
    In my opinion modern science has made cleaning them after every shooting session totally unnecessary.

If you love doing it and have the time then that is fine.

I have never had a gun show even a speck of rust or corrosion when using the vapor tabs so that is my S.O.P. and it works for me.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...LOX-VAPOR-TABS
    miller_man likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm with yah. It's kinda like sex, something you have to do. I just get 'er done asap and move on to watching sitcoms.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    So I have finally had to admit to myself that I do not actually enjoy cleaning my guns. I do it, I do it well and often . . . but I don't enjoy it.
    Am I the only gun owner who is this way?

I always read about everybody saying they "enjoy it" and all, guess I just don't have that feeling about it. I do like cleaning a NEW gun. Learning it inside and out, getting to see it all and how it works but once I've done it twice, its pretty much a chore to me every time after that. I think sometimes I am probably getting a little anal and too detailed about it. I have laid off a little lately on cleaning every surface to a shine. I have gotten to where I time myself and make it a goal to clean them as fast as possible, lol. Usually I try not to shoot more than two guns per outing so I don't have to spend an hour or two cleaning when I get home. Also I have decided to only clean my EDC everytime after shooting, all the others will get cleaned every other outing, unless it'll be sitting for weeks until shot again.

So thats me. Any others like me out there?
    I don't enjoy cleaning my guns, I enjoy having clean guns, if that makes sense.

I don't enjoy cleaning my house, either, but I enjoy having a clean home.
    bandrich, ericb327 and bmcgilvray like this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I honestly enjoy cleaning my guns. If I can't be out shooting them, at least I can spend some time - kind of like Thunder said, some 'me' time - in quiet solitude handling and reviewing my guns. I don't think it's a chore at all, in fact like it better than cleaning my tools.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Might sound weird, but I like cleaning my silver guns, but not the black ones. The black ones dont look much different when you are done. The silver ones go from filthy to shiny in 10 minutes, which is cool. I like instant gratification. Plus, some guns are way easier to clean than others. I love cleaning my Kahr's. The finish is such that a perfect clean is very easy, and they look sweet. My FN is a nightmare to clean. I hate it. More nooks and crannies than an English muffin. I must tear up 30 q-tips each time I clean that thing.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    If I had someone to clean with, I'd probably enjoy it more, since I'm very social. As it stands, I don't enjoy doing it.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    I'm religious about keeping my EDC's and 'go to' guns clean and maintained. It's like personal hygiene to me.

Now coming back from a long, hot, full day at a dusty range with a truck full of dirty firearms? I'm far more inclined to jump in the pool than start cleaning. I'll put those in the safe 'as is' and wait for a rainy day and a quiet house, and then thoroughly enjoy cleaning those too.

Distinguished Member
    Yeah... the older I get the more it seems like work.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

ArmyMan you hit it right on. Exactly!!!
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Administrator
    Well, I actually started NOT cleaning all of my firearms after every session when I got married.

Because that pre-dated WeaponShield (fairly odorless) and my Wife is extremely solvent sensitive.

Back then I couldn't clean my firearms with Hoppes OUTSIDE and then bring them into the house.

I am not kidding when I say that they sometimes use her at her job instead of a chemical detection sniffer.

She must have been a Bloodhound in a past life.

So...back then I tried the Vapor Phase Inhibitor which was a white, rust blocking powder - now Rust Blox has made it simpler with the tabs.

Now I just use those and clean my guns whenever I can without worrying about them sustaining any rust, corrosion, pitting or damage.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    So I have finally had to admit to myself that I do not actually enjoy cleaning my guns. I do it, I do it well and often . . . but I don't enjoy it.
    Yeah, what he said......

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ....Because that pre-dated WeaponShield (fairly odorless) .....

Back then I couldn't clean my firearms with Hoppes OUTSIDE and then bring them into the house.

I hate Hoppes, but it seems to work good. Is 'WeaponShield' pretty good??? I would be very happy to get something that didn't stink so much as Hoppes....

Thanks
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My last trip to the range I had to clean my 1911, my .357, and my PT-22.

I got my cleaning kit out, broke everything down, started a 'radio station' on my phone with some ZZ Top and next thing I knew it was almost 3 hours later and all three of my guns looked amazing.

I still haven't cleaned my Savage .22 rifle. That takes almost 3 hours to clean by itself...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    My last trip to the range I had to clean my 1911, my .357, and my PT-22.

I got my cleaning kit out, broke everything down, started a 'radio station' on my phone with some ZZ Top and next thing I knew it was almost 3 hours later and all three of my guns looked amazing.:
    Sounds exactly like what I do (except no ZZ Top). It wasn't as much of a chore when I just had one gun to clean. Now that I take 2 or 3 guns to the range, it definitely makes the cleaning sessions drag on.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I forgot to add that I came to enjoy cleaning my guns when I started using medical gloves to protect my hands. I have a skin condition that doesn't react well to solvents, chemicals etc, so now that I protect them I can fully enjoy the act of cleaning my guns without worrying about the ill effects on my hands.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links