Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns? - Page 4

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Blow it out with carberator cleaner, run a soft brush through the barrel few scrubs, rack slide-apply some break free to rails, drop it wipe ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?

Blow it out with carberator cleaner, run a soft brush through the barrel few scrubs, rack slide-apply some break free to rails, drop it wipe her down, rack back open, run a lubed fuzzy swab through barrel, little Break free on contact points, drop the slide-cycle it few times, lubed cloth to exterior and lightly on the magazine. Takes about 2 minutes or less...

I can pretty much take the whole thing apart and full clean one in about 5 minutes...some people gonna wear their barrels out scrubbing them clean! If you're shooting lead, invest in a bottle of copper solvant. Sit the barrel in it for 5 minutes, flip it around, another 5 while doing something else and then scrub-it comes right out. Seen Bill Wilson on a video use a cut piece of a copper dish scrubber pushed through-also knocked the lead right out.

If I'm carrying for duty use, after every practice session-always look real close at the rails for cracking and such, but you can actually do more harm than good by drowning everything in oil. Too much and if it gets into the ammo, will render the primer un-fireable or if soaks into a nice wooden stock, makes it soft and the screws wiggle loose. I try only get the contact points of things that rub together or will rust.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't like: washing the car, mowing the lawn, doing laundry, carrying out the trash, etc. either. Sometimes life ain't fair.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sorry...It's the best therapy I get in my busy life. The more I clean each gun, the more I learn the BEST way to finish up the job. You'll proly hate this...but I actually enjoy the cleaning session more than the shoot..hehe.. Weird...I know.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I really dont mind, It's the way I was taught growing up. "Clean your weapon after using it" 40+ years later and it's still burned into my brain.

I don't really enjoy cleaning guns but sure do like cleaned and lubed guns that function properly and are sighted in. Lots of problems involving a gunsmith may be completely avoided with clean guns, properly lubed.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I love it! Gives me time to bond with my guns and caress them ;)
    DPro.40 likes this.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?
    You're surely not alone but for me cleaning my guns is a pleasure. I enjoy keeping those babies well maintained.

VIP Member
    It rained all day today, so I detail-stripped that dreaded, crusty ol' Remington Speedmaster while listening to .38 Special's 'greatest hits'.

It took hours and fortunately, '.38 Special' made a lot of great songs and my ipod was on 'repeat'. I grabbed a handful of tiny pointed wooden shish-kabob skewers out of the kitchen to help me with the leading around the breech that had been building up. Man, that really works well - you can buy them in just about any supermarket, and they've officially been added to my cleaning supplies.

That ol' rifle has never been this clean, and the action is now running smooth as silk. Even the most dreaded chores can be pleasurable in the right environment.
    ericb327 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Ahhhh 38 Special. The fair in Aiken in 1995. Such fond memories

Cleaning my pistols is a joy. Since they are all 1911s I get to detail strip them and inspect the parts for wear patterns and defects. Black fingertips, spilled Hoppes, dirty rags, metal parts everywhere....

Naaaa, I don't hate it at all.
    DPro.40 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I dread cleaning guns.My G17 gets cleaned about every 500-700 rounds.Even then sometimes I'll just run a couple patches through the bore.My Caracal has seen 600 rounds and has been cleaned twice.However my EDC a G26 gets cleaned after every shooting.

Cleaning guns is just another chore, like mowing the grass. It has to be done and it has to be done in a timely fashion.

Distinguished Member
    Not a lover of cleaning guns either.

I specifically dont tear down the edc after every shooting, as i like to test fire after reassembly.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo View Post
    Not a lover of cleaning guns either.

I specifically dont tear down the edc after every shooting, as i like to test fire after reassembly.
    Glad you said that! Every time my wifes or my EDC or Bug is broken down and put back together it is fired. Fortunatley in NH I was able to do that and here in Texas we can also. I would never carry something that I put back together without test firing. Call it no trust in myself LOL. If I had to I would stay at the range and clean it then test fire it.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    So I have finally had to admit to myself that I do not actually enjoy cleaning my guns. I do it, I do it well and often . . . but I don't enjoy it.
    Am I the only gun owner who is this way?

I always read about everybody saying they "enjoy it" and all, guess I just don't have that feeling about it. I do like cleaning a NEW gun. Learning it inside and out, getting to see it all and how it works but once I've done it twice, its pretty much a chore to me every time after that. I think sometimes I am probably getting a little anal and too detailed about it. I have laid off a little lately on cleaning every surface to a shine. I have gotten to where I time myself and make it a goal to clean them as fast as possible, lol. Usually I try not to shoot more than two guns per outing so I don't have to spend an hour or two cleaning when I get home. Also I have decided to only clean my EDC everytime after shooting, all the others will get cleaned every other outing, unless it'll be sitting for weeks until shot again.

So thats me. Any others like me out there?
    I don't "enjoy" cleaning my guns. I don't "enjoy" laundry, washing dishes (cooking for that matter), dusting, sweeping.....sure don't like cleaning the bathroom (stool) ect., but I just do it....all of it. There are just some things you HAVE to do. So just put on a happy face and try to convince yourself that you are happy to do it. Works for me. My best advice.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I guess I'm a weirdo. I love cleaning my guns. I love the smell of Nitro in the morning.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links