Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns? - Page 5

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; This whole thread TL;DR. To answer the OP's question: I don't enjoy it either. I am borderline obsessive when I clean my firearms (Among other ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    This whole thread TL;DR.

To answer the OP's question: I don't enjoy it either. I am borderline obsessive when I clean my firearms (Among other things), so depending on how "dirty" the ammo I shoot tends to be, it can take a while to get them "just right". Cleaning guns just goes with the territory of being a responsible gun owner.

"Gotta pay to play!"

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I don't really like it. That's why I have Glock's and AK's.

There is no real hurry to clean them after shooting.
    blitzburgh likes this.

If I had Glocks and AKs they would still be cleaned after every use.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    If I had Glocks and AKs they would still be cleaned after every use.
    I still clean my guns. I'm just not as OCD as some on this thread.

Case in point - a few years ago I carried my G19 to an advanced handgun class. We shot 800+ rounds in a bit over 8 hours. When it was over did I:

A. Break my gun down and clean it spotless before the trip home

B. Load a spare gun for the trip home

C. Reload my carry ammo back in the gun I had just trained with all day and have complete confidence it would go bang if needed

"C" is the correct answer

Distinguished Member
    I have a friend who has a G17 and a G34. He's prob had them 2 years, shoots them about once of month at least and has never cleaned them. He told me "its a glock, you don't have to clean it". I wouldn't have believed him until i locked the slide back and looked inside. I took em to the range, both ran flawless, no suprise to me. Kinda makes me want to have one gun that I never clean.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I actually enjoy cleaning my guns, but I am not obsessive about it. I find it relaxing and peaceful. Plus, I feel some sense of accomplishment when I put a clean gun back in the safe or my holster.
    shockwave likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I have a friend who has a G17 and a G34. He's prob had them 2 years, shoots them about once of month at least and has never cleaned them. He told me "its a glock, you don't have to clean it". I wouldn't have believed him until i locked the slide back and looked inside. I took em to the range, both ran flawless, no suprise to me. Kinda makes me want to have one gun that I never clean.
    I don't doubt the friend can get by with that, for awhile anyway. The question I would ask is; Why? Glocks are the easiest guns in the world to clean and maintain. Neglecting Glock maintenance would seem to me to be taking laziness to new levels and at the risk of having a malfunctioning gun.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I actually enjoy cleaning my guns, but I am not obsessive about it. I find it relaxing and peaceful. Plus, I feel some sense of accomplishment when I put a clean gun back in the safe or my holster.
    Same here. I take my time and give the internals a good once over. Its really relaxing.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

You are NOT the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning their weapons.

In fact, lots of people contact me to detail and prepare their weapons for storage. It is an affordable service for those who want to keep their weapons in like-new condition without the hassle.

I like to do it when they are new I clean after each range session but after a while it becomes a pain in the a$$.

I dont clean them until they are VERY dirty. Had my first failure to eject in my rugar LCP this weekend so will clean that. I swear that I could never clean my M&P 9C and it would work find but I do actually clean it every 1000-1500 rounds or so.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I hate it doing it. Cleaning two guns every range time sucks.... even more so if they are my wheel guns.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I clean my gun after every use but I don't enjoy it either. To me there is nothing relaxing about it with the grime, and the chemical smell of the cleaning agents.
    Sig P250 .45 Subcompact
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose,
    is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. ~ L. Neil Smith

GH
    While I don't actually enjoy cleaning my pistol it's so easy that I don't really mind. I had a Glock 23 which I gave to my son unfortunately, now have a S&W clone, the Sigma which cleans identically. Five minutes & the gun is as clean as new. I know that a bit of residue isn't going to screw something up. With my Glock & now my Sigma I experimented with not cleaning them for a looong time. I had no problems whatsoever. All I did was add just a touch of oil on the slide rails. Not even sure if that was necessary. I certainly don't want to make a habit of it, though. In my military career I've seen what can happen to inadequately cleaned weapons, early M16s as an example.

I use CLP Break Free & found that it does a good job in both cleaning & lubricating.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I don't because I'm anal about it and disassemble the frame and tend to forget where one little part goes and have to spend endless hours on the internet figuring it out.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links