Defensive Carry banner

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?

12K views 94 replies 79 participants last post by  GH 
#1 ·
So I have finally had to admit to myself that I do not actually enjoy cleaning my guns. I do it, I do it well and often . . . but I don't enjoy it.
Am I the only gun owner who is this way?

I always read about everybody saying they "enjoy it" and all, guess I just don't have that feeling about it. I do like cleaning a NEW gun. Learning it inside and out, getting to see it all and how it works but once I've done it twice, its pretty much a chore to me every time after that. I think sometimes I am probably getting a little anal and too detailed about it. I have laid off a little lately on cleaning every surface to a shine. I have gotten to where I time myself and make it a goal to clean them as fast as possible, lol. Usually I try not to shoot more than two guns per outing so I don't have to spend an hour or two cleaning when I get home. Also I have decided to only clean my EDC everytime after shooting, all the others will get cleaned every other outing, unless it'll be sitting for weeks until shot again.

So thats me. Any others like me out there?

#4 ·
I don't wake up in the morning saying "yey! Time to clean my guns". But it is a ritual that after range time I clean what I fired and maybe give a once over on what I will shoot the next day. I think it is relaxation time. Hoppes 9 and re runs for Rat Patrol

#5 ·
I used to like it, but now it's a chore.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

#79 ·
This is exactly how I introduced my son, who was 4 at the time, to guns and discussions about gun safety. His first range trip was at 6, by 12 he was making regular range trips with me, and we are still shooting together 14 years later. This has been a father-son activity we both enjoy, and he is now an NRA Life Member like me. I wouldn't take anything for the times we have spent together shooting, reloading, and yes, even cleaning!

As far as do I enjoy cleaning, I kind of dread it in a way, but once I get into it I do enjoy it.

#12 ·
No your not the only one. Especially my duck gun. I duck hunt everyday pretty much during season, when I get home I take a nap then I wake up and go deer hunting. So all I do is shoot a little corrosion x in the action, work it a few times then wipe down the exterior. Just for corrosion protection. This is hunting salt marsh. The gun has feathers, grit unburnt powder but keeps shooting. My buddies give me hell when they see how filthy it is. Ill clean it about every week and a half. Thats why you get quality guns. Its not like if you go to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through a pistol it has to be cleaned. But I avoid taking too many guns to the range just like you do.

#15 ·
New guns are always "fun" the first couple range trips...but after a while it get's boring. I don't go crazy with the cleaning either, just get the worst junk out and make sure it's lubed. I only do an extra thorough cleaning every few range trips. Hell, my XD9 probably has had 100 rounds through it since I cleaned it last, mostly thanks to a couple mags of impromptu shooting here and there.

#21 ·
The majority of the time, I really do enjoy it. As I'm cleaning, I'm also checking over things. It also allows me some quiet time. All throughout the day, I'm either hearing people talking, TV, radio, sirens, etc. So it's nice to just relax and clean them. I find it quite peaceful.

Some do their best thinking on the toilet or in the shower, I do mine while cleaning my weapons.

#23 ·
I was pretty psyched to clean out my dad's guns after my first outing with my him. We ended up cleaning a 22 and a 357 revolver along with a 30-06, I was not so psyched after a little bit... they were pretty dirty though and I'm pretty anal, then my dad was a Marine so he was telling me the standards that he had to follow in the Corps, so I tried to clean em like a Marine would... I tend to get extremely anal/careful with stuff when I'm doing it for the first time. You should have seen me when I brewed my first batch of beer, you would've thought I was making meth.

#24 ·
I really enjoy the cleaning process, my partners are 12 and 17 and it's a good time to sit around and BS and be a family. I also do enjoy the actual cleaning I am sort of a clean freak on the guns ( not my room ) and I like to see the difference from beginning to end. But the best part is spending the time with the boys for sure.

#25 ·
I have to admit that I rather like it - unless it is a late evening after a day at the range and I have to get up early to go to work. Otherwise, I honestly like the notion of taking care of something important in my life (besides my wife). I like the thought of improving (or insuring) performance that is solely up to my attention to detail. I like the intimacy of examining the parts and tending to them. As a caveate to all this, I only get to shoot on a monthly basis or so. I can understand if one shoots every week or more, and with multiple weapons, that it would become quite a chore. I try to only two shoot handguns at most during each trip - it would become more burdensome to clean more than two at one sitting.

#26 ·
Definitely not one of my favorite past times but I do it. I don't mind the handguns too much but I really don't like cleaning the rifles. I do keep them clean because I was taught if I take care of my weapons now they will take care of me when I need them. For some reason though I have always loved the smell of Hoppes so I at least get some pleasure from it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.