Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; So I have finally had to admit to myself that I do not actually enjoy cleaning my guns. I do it, I do it well ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?

Distinguished Member

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy cleaning my guns?

So I have finally had to admit to myself that I do not actually enjoy cleaning my guns. I do it, I do it well and often . . . but I don't enjoy it.
    Am I the only gun owner who is this way?

I always read about everybody saying they "enjoy it" and all, guess I just don't have that feeling about it. I do like cleaning a NEW gun. Learning it inside and out, getting to see it all and how it works but once I've done it twice, its pretty much a chore to me every time after that. I think sometimes I am probably getting a little anal and too detailed about it. I have laid off a little lately on cleaning every surface to a shine. I have gotten to where I time myself and make it a goal to clean them as fast as possible, lol. Usually I try not to shoot more than two guns per outing so I don't have to spend an hour or two cleaning when I get home. Also I have decided to only clean my EDC everytime after shooting, all the others will get cleaned every other outing, unless it'll be sitting for weeks until shot again.

So thats me. Any others like me out there?
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

2. Remove Ads

I can't say it thrills me, but I do kind of like the solitude I have to admit. When I'm cleaning my guns everyone leaves me alone. It is a nice opportunity for some peace and quiet while still getting something done.
    Pro2A likes this.

Me no like either

I don't wake up in the morning saying "yey! Time to clean my guns". But it is a ritual that after range time I clean what I fired and maybe give a once over on what I will shoot the next day. I think it is relaxation time. Hoppes 9 and re runs for Rat Patrol

I used to like it, but now it's a chore.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

P5
    I'm with you and peckman28, I don't "enjoy it" but I do it well and everyone leaves me alone while I'm cleaning them.
    mano3 likes this.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!
    Walther P5 / AMT AutomagII

Hate it, very rarely do it. M&P 40C still always goes bang

Nothing sweeter than the smell of Hoppes #9 and a well deconstructed weapon ready for cleaning and reassembly back into a perfectly functioning machine.

Count me in with the "I like the ritual and particulars of cleaning my guns," sect.
    RevolvingMag and oldnfat like this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    I clean my edc every three or four days, not because I particularly like it, but because I particularly dislike the alternative.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I like it, for the most part... It's 'me' time, and if I get lucky my kids (4 and 6) will keep me company and ask questions. :)

nope. i hate it. but i don't like cleaning the gutters on my house either. but cleaning the gutters is better than having a flooded basement, and cleaning the guns is better than having them not run right.
    miller_man likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

No your not the only one. Especially my duck gun. I duck hunt everyday pretty much during season, when I get home I take a nap then I wake up and go deer hunting. So all I do is shoot a little corrosion x in the action, work it a few times then wipe down the exterior. Just for corrosion protection. This is hunting salt marsh. The gun has feathers, grit unburnt powder but keeps shooting. My buddies give me hell when they see how filthy it is. Ill clean it about every week and a half. Thats why you get quality guns. Its not like if you go to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through a pistol it has to be cleaned. But I avoid taking too many guns to the range just like you do.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    Nothing sweeter than the smell of Hoppes #9 and a well deconstructed weapon ready for cleaning and reassembly back into a perfectly functioning machine.

Count me in with the "I like the ritual and particulars of cleaning my guns," sect.
    Count me in
    Ksgunner likes this.

I don't really like it, but I like knowing they are clean and will function well.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

New guns are always "fun" the first couple range trips...but after a while it get's boring. I don't go crazy with the cleaning either, just get the worst junk out and make sure it's lubed. I only do an extra thorough cleaning every few range trips. Hell, my XD9 probably has had 100 rounds through it since I cleaned it last, mostly thanks to a couple mags of impromptu shooting here and there.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links