Drying a pistol in the clothes dryer - Page 2

Drying a pistol in the clothes dryer

This is a discussion on Drying a pistol in the clothes dryer within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Toss in a few crayons and tie dye that baby....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Drying a pistol in the clothes dryer

clc
    Toss in a few crayons and tie dye that baby.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Instead of using the clothes dryer why not get a blow dryer just for this purpose. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Really though a good microfiber cloth will work just fine. Being an armorer I probably take more time cleaning and inspecting my guns but I try to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks for all the feedback. For gun ownership to work for me, I need cleaning to be simple and quick. Based on all of the positive feedback about ultrasonic cleaners, that seemed like the best cleaning method for me. I plan to use Simple Green Pro HD as the cleaning solution so chemical odors and combustible fumes are not an issue. I will rinse all of the parts off with water after the ultrasonic. My only remaining issue is efficiently drying all parts. The hair dryer was my first choice until I thought of the dryer rack. Hot air is hot air and with the clothes dryer, I won't have to worry about missing any water in the nooks and crannies. I plan to do some temperature testing with a meat thermometer on the different settings to make sure I don't get too hot. I need to call Sig and ask how hot is too hot.

You guys are rookies, don't you know you should clean your guns using the clean cycle of the oven? Yup, 900 degrees burns off all the unwanted gunk and gets rid of those girly plastic parts too! Just a note of caution here: Make very, very sure it's unloaded.
    Arborigine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    That be me if I tried a stunt like drying gun parts in the cloths dryer ........... I'm not allowed to even do laundry

You're my new role model.

Why not just take your gun frame out in the yard outstretch your hand and spin around in circles? Not too hot, not too much air flow, exercise, gets attention, uses no electricity therefore reducing your carbon footprint, and is a natural drying effect.

Seriously though don't be putting your gun stuffs in household appliances. Solvents and such may be flammable and subjecting them to heat like that is probably a no-no. Clothes that have gasoline on them are not supposed to go in the dryer either.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Wipe down with your oily rag. Letting water air dry on ferrous parts will leave a fine sheen of ferrous oxide. Better known as rust.

We like to coat any exposed (fractured) metal surfaces with a little oil so it does not corrode before we examine under microscope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

You can prevent mineral buildup if you use ro/di water for your rinse. You can buy a filter for it or buy it from a fish/pet store by the gallon.

OD*
    Thanks, but I'll stick with the dishwasher.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Hi again;

"For gun ownership to work for me, I need cleaning to be simple and quick."

Only an observation but none of this sounds either simple or quick. It would appear to be more bother and effort to accomplish cleaning a pistol in such a manner than it would just to hunker down and clean it normally using cleaning accessories and solvents made for the purpose. For me at least, it'd be a whipping to have to clean handguns in such a manner.

I like ol' stinky Hoppe's No. 9 but many don't embrace the strong gun cleaning solvents. Much advice could be given by Forum members on alternate gun cleaning potions that do a good job, are non-combustible and are less harsh and offensive. One could avoid fiddling with an ultra-sonic cleaner. The water rinse and drying could be avoided completely with the right stuff and loading a gadget rack laden with gun parts into a clothes dryer consuming 220 volts would be unnecessary.

Good post anyway. It has elicited comment on gun cleaning ideas.
    joker1 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Personally.......I like the oven idea. That way you can reconstitute your desiccant bags at the same time. Then of course there's canned air (which is kinda expensive....but likely less than the gas or electricity for the oven). The clothes dryer just don't appeal to me for some reason.

Senior Moderator
    If you do decide to go with the dryer method, make sure that whatever you use to clean with is not flammable, a lot of gun cleaning stuff is.

I can't tell you how many house fires I fought back in the day that started with the dryer itself, or something in it that started a fire.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Why is your gun "wet" ,I don't get it,you scrubbing it in the sink?I just clean mine the old fashion way,if my gun gets "wet" I spray it with wd40 and then clean like normal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I can't believe people would even contemplate this!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorrob86 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. For gun ownership to work for me, I need cleaning to be simple and quick. Based on all of the positive feedback about ultrasonic cleaners, that seemed like the best cleaning method for me. I plan to use Simple Green Pro HD as the cleaning solution so chemical odors and combustible fumes are not an issue. I will rinse all of the parts off with water after the ultrasonic. My only remaining issue is efficiently drying all parts. The hair dryer was my first choice until I thought of the dryer rack. Hot air is hot air and with the clothes dryer, I won't have to worry about missing any water in the nooks and crannies. I plan to do some temperature testing with a meat thermometer on the different settings to make sure I don't get too hot. I need to call Sig and ask how hot is too hot.
    You're really overthinking this. Cleaned & lubed, not surgically sterile.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

While it probably works, it seems like a waste of electric/gas for something that air dries almost instantly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links