Don't this Bore-snake works that well... (pics)

This is a discussion on Don't this Bore-snake works that well... (pics) within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; So I've been using bore snake since 2008 or so... I thought they were the best way to clean a barrel quickly. and I figured ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Don't this Bore-snake works that well... (pics)

Don't this Bore-snake works that well... (pics)

So I've been using bore snake since 2008 or so... I thought they were the best way to clean a barrel quickly. and I figured they would remove most of the carbon....

fast forward to today, I shot my M&P9c and it was getting groups tigther than usual. like amazingly accurate compared to before (which was what I expected out of a compact pistol). I had actually cleaned it with bore-eliminator the prior week just out of curiousity on how it would perform after a squeky clean barrel... (when I cleaned it with bore-elim, it was after the range session, so I knew the bore would be dirty)

Today, I decided to clean a pistol that I had cleaned with a bore-snake after a range session... so it should have been clean right? After the first patch with a properly sized brass jag, this is the amount of carbon/lead that came out (ignore the blue copper remover color, that's from the brass jag) then after brushing the inside then running a wet bore eliminator patch again, look at all that build up it removed. (H&K mk23 barrel)

I used CLP in the bore followed with the bore snake, then applied tuf-glide lastly to protect the metal.

I'm just amazed how much stuff was left over... looks like after a range session, this is how I will be cleaning my bores from now on. it's more tedious work, but that's too much left over in my book. and after I saw how much more accurate my M&P9c shot today, I'm satisfied

2. Remove Ads

Personally I just throw mine in the dishwasher....... It comes out spotless....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post

VIP Member
    I consider a Boresnake ok for a quick clean but to be more through it’s the brass brush and patches.
    mano3, Hodad, bigmacque and 4 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

You know crowman's full of it - cause his wife ain't shot him yet

If you watch what happens when you use a boresnake, you'll see that the cloth/patch part of it stretches out to where it's smaller than the bore - kinda like wiping a table with rag that's just hanging down vs. applying pressure. It's the same reason I never use those slotted patch holders; only brass jags. Those plastic shotgun jags are useless as well; put a solvent soaked patch over a bronze brush and push through.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    You know crowman's full of it - cause his wife ain't shot him yet
    Are you sure she hasn't??
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    That only works with Glocks.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

To be honest after 4 years that boresnake is probably loaded with crud,kinda like wiping something off with a dirty rag,use a clean bore snake and see if you get the same results.I have several boresnakes laying around,but i always seem to use the brush and patch method since that is what has been ingrained in my brain from the 60's
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I consider a Boresnake ok for a quick clean but to be more through it’s the brass brush and patches.

^I'm in this camp^^^^^^^

on this one.
    I give anything I shoot the brass brush/Hoppes 9 and then patches.
    dV8r likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    You take it apart first, right?

Lead Moderator
    I use a boresnake to clean out the bore first, then follow with brush and patches. Seems to use less patches and gets the barrel clean.
    mano3, Hodad and squid86 like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Following crowman's lead, take used boresnakes, put them in the wife's "delicates bag" and sneak them in with the towels when she's doing the laundry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I use a boresnake to clean out the bore first, then follow with brush and patches. Seems to use less patches and gets the barrel clean.
    Me too. Also, like Duk said, they don't last forever. I'll replace them once the brass starts to flatten out and it starts looking cruddy. If I've been shooting lead, it'll get the wire brush treatment too.

I use the bore snake after brushing but before jags with patches. To me it's more of some extra insurance than the whole show.

VIP Member
    Boresnakes are best on long days at the range (class or competition). After a few hundred rounds, a once through with the 'Snake, and back to business. It probably isn't necessary, but it makes me feel good.

To properly clean, it is brushes and jags all the way.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links