Defensive Carry banner

cleaning?

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  BamaAlum97 
#1 ·
I was just at another forum and a member posted this "BTW, regarding cleaning in general, scrupulous cleaning, trying to get it "like new", isn't necessary or all that good for your gun in the long run, so keep your cleaning routine regular, but simple. " is this true? I clean my firearms after shooting really well and all look almost bran new. Is my over cleaning actually causing harm to the weapon? I dont think so but wanted to see what everyone else does and says.

#4 ·
:rofl:

I used to try to clean my guns to like new. I wanted every surface clean enough to wipe with a white cloth and still be white. Lol, waste of time. Now I just clean em well - but quick and easy. I don't spend time trying to clean every surface and nook and cranny. Clean em, oil em - good to go.

#6 ·
The "damage" they are talkkng about is most likely the wear and tear caused by disassembling and re-assembling more often than necessary. This can cause premature failure of some small parts such as pins and screws.

If you are judicious in your routine this is a non-issue. Even if it does wear early, these are fairly cheap to replace.

Clean as makes you happy. Just be sure to inspect as you go and you should be fine.

#7 ·
You will wear out well before your weapon will as a result of cleaning!

On the side...many folks have a tendency to over-lubricate when cleaning. Avoid this pitfall as it can result in malfunctions over the long haul. Oil collects powder residue, dirt and dust. These can interfere with proper functioning of a weapon system.

#8 ·
Ask yourself that question when your gun or magazine malfunctions due to poor maintenance when your in a defensive scenario!

#12 ·
Dude, I see "USMC" in your name. I can't believe that a Marine would for a minute question the importance of a clean weapon!! Your DI would stomp you for uttering the thought!:danceban:

#15 ·
Think about those boot camp rifles. That get exposed to elements, cleaned until they are inspection ready with chemicals no civilian would use to clean their guns, dry fired thousands of times during grass week, and fired a lot with blanks and live ammo with every recruit it is issued too. And they stay there for quite a while, decades, I would imagine, going through all of that several times a year. And they are still accurate enough for 500 yard shots.

I think some people just worry too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.