cleaning?

cleaning?

This is a discussion on cleaning? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I was just at another forum and a member posted this "BTW, regarding cleaning in general, scrupulous cleaning, trying to get it "like new", isn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: cleaning?

cleaning?

I was just at another forum and a member posted this "BTW, regarding cleaning in general, scrupulous cleaning, trying to get it "like new", isn't necessary or all that good for your gun in the long run, so keep your cleaning routine regular, but simple. " is this true? I clean my firearms after shooting really well and all look almost bran new. Is my over cleaning actually causing harm to the weapon? I dont think so but wanted to see what everyone else does and says.

A good thorough cleaning and lubing of your weapon is not going to harm it at all if done properly. If anything the more frequent lubing would minimize wear, prevent corrosion and make it last longer.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    As long as you oil it properly you have nothing to worry about. Personally, I would never take advice from any other forum.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    As long as you oil it properly you have nothing to worry about. Personally, I would never take advice from any other forum.

I used to try to clean my guns to like new. I wanted every surface clean enough to wipe with a white cloth and still be white. Lol, waste of time. Now I just clean em well - but quick and easy. I don't spend time trying to clean every surface and nook and cranny. Clean em, oil em - good to go.
    bigdog44 and 3wggl like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Thats why I always come back to the first forum I ever joined due to the fact that I get the most knowledgeable answers.

VIP Member
    The "damage" they are talkkng about is most likely the wear and tear caused by disassembling and re-assembling more often than necessary. This can cause premature failure of some small parts such as pins and screws.

If you are judicious in your routine this is a non-issue. Even if it does wear early, these are fairly cheap to replace.

Clean as makes you happy. Just be sure to inspect as you go and you should be fine.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

MJK
    You will wear out well before your weapon will as a result of cleaning!

On the side...many folks have a tendency to over-lubricate when cleaning. Avoid this pitfall as it can result in malfunctions over the long haul. Oil collects powder residue, dirt and dust. These can interfere with proper functioning of a weapon system.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Ask yourself that question when your gun or magazine malfunctions due to poor maintenance when your in a defensive scenario!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Is my over cleaning actually causing harm to the weapon?
    No. If that were the case mine would have stopped functioning long ago. Over lubrication on the other hand could be a problem with some guns.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    No. If that were the case mine would have stopped functioning long ago. Over lubrication on the other hand could be a problem with some guns.
    Thats what I was thinking. I mean I guess I could mabe wear down the finish some but it should still be just as reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    I was just at another forum and a member posted this "BTW, regarding cleaning in general, scrupulous cleaning, trying to get it "like new", isn't necessary or all that good for your gun in the long run, so keep your cleaning routine regular, but simple. " is this true? I clean my firearms after shooting really well and all look almost bran new. Is my over cleaning actually causing harm to the weapon? I dont think so but wanted to see what everyone else does and says.
    Lol I can't help it. I love to clean my guns. I even break out the pipe cleaners and really get in there. I do this like every two weeks. just what I'm used to I guess.

Dude, I see "USMC" in your name. I can't believe that a Marine would for a minute question the importance of a clean weapon!! Your DI would stomp you for uttering the thought!
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    Dude, I see "USMC" in your name. I can't believe that a Marine would for a minute question the importance of a clean weapon!! Your DI would stomp you for uttering the thought!
    This is likely why I have my current weapon cleaning habbits lol.

I question the question...Marines know how to clean weapons. Just ask me.

Think about those boot camp rifles. That get exposed to elements, cleaned until they are inspection ready with chemicals no civilian would use to clean their guns, dry fired thousands of times during grass week, and fired a lot with blanks and live ammo with every recruit it is issued too. And they stay there for quite a while, decades, I would imagine, going through all of that several times a year. And they are still accurate enough for 500 yard shots.

I think some people just worry too much.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links