Dumb question about a 1911

This is a discussion on Dumb question about a 1911 within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I need to get a new slide stop for my 1911. Somehow my current one is slightly bent and I wish to replace it. I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Dumb question about a 1911

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

I need to get a new slide stop for my 1911. Somehow my current one is slightly bent and I wish to replace it.

I assume I can just order any slide stop online and it will be correct... Does this sound right?

In addition, what can I expect to pay for one?

It may require fitting. You may want to look into a Wilson Bullet Proof Slide Stop.

Administrator
    Call Brownell's in Iowa. Ask them for their 1911 catalog. They will get one out to you pronto. Then you can check out all of the available slide stops. And read their specs as to if they are forged or cast - hardened - type of steel etc.

One huge advantage of buying from Brownell's is that if you buy a part and it doesn't fit...return it for any reason and they will refund you.

As per above WILSON would be a great one. I mostly use Ed Brown for the slide stop.

One thing that you DO need to know. That would be that if your present slide stop is bent...it shouldn't be. There should be nothing bearing heavily on the slide stop pin if the barrel is fit correctly. So rather than just trying to solve your problem by just popping in a new slide stop - you might want to have a local "smith" that is familiar with 1911s check out your firearm and make certain that the barrel is correctly fit and that your barrel link pin is the right size and that your barrel lugs are not bearing too heavily on your S S Pin.
    dukalmighty and bmcgilvray like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QKShooter stole my thunder, and his advice you can take to the bank. But how did you manage to bend a slide stop???
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links