How often to clean to Sig M4?

This is a discussion on How often to clean to Sig M4? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; After how many rounds should I clean it? I'm fairly new to this platform as I mostly shoot handguns....

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By whoppo
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: How often to clean to Sig M4?

After how many rounds should I clean it? I'm fairly new to this platform as I mostly shoot handguns.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    I shoot my AR platform weapons at least a couple of times a month and they get cleaned after each trip to the range.
    In the rare event that one doesn't get shot & cleaned with the rest of them, I'll generally take a little time each month to break it open to wipe things down and "freshen" the lube in and around the bolt carrier group.... just 'cuz :)
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Anything I use, I clean right after use...
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I usually do too retsupt99. However, sometimes I'll only have enough time to put, say, 50 rounds down range. So I'll wait until the next "full time" range trip and clean the handgun(s) I used as soon as I get home. This has happened to me a few times with the M4 and I didn't bother to clean it. For example, I had six 30rnd mags loaded but something came up and I had to leave before I even got half way through the first mag. I didn't bother cleaning it after that.

I'm unfamiliar with this platform and the care they need, is this bad practice? Should I clean it after use regardless of round count during any session?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

My rule of thumb is if it is a plinker, then it can go a few range sessions before I clean it. If I use if for self defense, then it gets cleaned and lubed after every use.
    Lifetime NRA member

If I don't shoot it very much (less than 1 mag), I will skip the thorough cleaning. Maybe wipe the bolt down and re-oil it. I hunt coyotes with my AR so sometimes it can get water/woodland junk in it without even firing a shot so I sometimes it gets fresh oil without a shot fired.

Re: How often to clean to Sig M4?

Cleaning it after each use is probably a good idea because if you needed it in an emergency you know it's good to go. And it's just good to take care of your stuff.

It's no big deal if you don't, though. As long as you don't ABUSE the gun, I wouldn't worry about it. The people that have to clean their guns after every ten rounds and go ballistic after a gun gets a tiny scratch are hilarious.

EVERYTIME YOU USE IT !!!!!!!!!! More than one poor soul has heard a click when they should have heard a bang, when there life has depended on it. Some faired better, others not so much. Why risk your life to a dirty gun.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links