Trying Froglube

This is a discussion on Trying Froglube within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I've heard great things, but as you say is hype. Synthetic motor oil works the same and is 1qt for $6. Lasts forever. Sent from ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Trying Froglube

Re: Trying Froglube

I've heard great things, but as you say is hype. Synthetic motor oil works the same and is 1qt for $6. Lasts forever.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One thing I did notice about Froglube is it is slicker than the green snot it resembles. And I mean slick. I keep dropping pieces I've coated. It reminds me of that STP oil advertisement with the screwdriver, if you remember that.

I tore down the slide on my Glock 30 today for the first time today (Thank you, Hickock45, for the fine tutorial Youtube video--highly reccommended for first timers.) and found it suprisingly clean, the extractor being the only really dirty part. After a thorough cleaning and reassembly, I treated the barrel and slide rails to a FL treatment and gave the gun a quick functional (pencil) check. My 6906 will get primary SD duty until I can get out to the range and proof test my work.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I really like shooters choice FP 10 or weapons shield.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Froglube,,,Is it water Tight ?? ; )

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I've only ever used the old military CLP so I've been doing a ton of research on modern CLPs to find a good one to try and have heard nothing but good reviews on Froglube so far. Total bonus that its all natural so its safe to handle and doesn't stink(wife won't kick me out into the cold garage to use it). I was leaning toward Gunzilla for a while for the same reasons but it looks like Froglube might be the way to go. I'll be tagging along to see what OldVet thinks after using it a bit more. Thanks for the review so far OldVet.

Has anyone used Smooth-Kote and BP2000 from SentrySolutions as a combo? I have it on one of my Glocks now for about 3 months. The thing I like is there isn't any oil. This is a dry lube and it doesn't attract dirt. I measure the slide and guides before and after firing and so far there isn't any wear.

I am about convinced to strip all my others and strictly use SentrySolutions. (I am in no way affiliated with this company).

GeorgiaCarry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Re: Trying Froglube

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaCarry View Post
    Has anyone used Smooth-Kote and BP2000 from SentrySolutions as a combo? I have it on one of my Glocks now for about 3 months. The thing I like is there isn't any oil. This is a dry lube and it doesn't attract dirt. I measure the slide and guides before and after firing and so far there isn't any wear.

I am about convinced to strip all my others and strictly use SentrySolutions. (I am in no way affiliated with this company).

GeorgiaCarry
    I've never used a dry lube, but I am wondering if there's any down side to using it? I normally use Hoppes Gun Lube and it works fine, but if dry lube (which don't attract dirt and grime as much) works just as well as wet lube, maybe I'll switch.

I just started using Frog Lube recently. I found that I needed to use a blow dryer to warm the metal to get it to really work well, but once you do that it seems great. It's sort of nice unloading my pistol every night and having a minty smell. The clean-up after shooting was easier, too. I want to run a few hundred more rounds through this before I go all-in and apply it to everything else, but definitely so far so good.

I'm giving it a try. Hope it lives up to the hype.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    OldVet I think your going like the Frog I found that after my 3rd app. it was like I had a new 45 same with my 40 and 380 all worked better than ever, hope it does the same for you

great minty smell an yeah it works great love the stuff. One great thing its bio no petroleum so it wont hurt my nicer wood grips, again wife likes the smell better.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    So far I haven't made any firm decision on Froglube. I had treated my Sig P226 with it and finally made it out to the local range to run a box of rounds thru it. The Sig ran fine (I expected it to) and cleanup was no easier/harder than any other gun product I've ever used. Have I seen anything about FL that would make me stand on a soapbox and shout out to the world it's a "must have"? Nope. Not yet. But I'll keep using it for a while longer. Then it will probably be set aside with the Gunzilla that I found no better or worse than anything else.

As for the Sig, except for that first DA shot that went off into the netherworld somewhere, I shot it as well as I've shot anything, which is pretty good for my first time out with it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well, I'm a Froglube believer now. I shot 40 rounds through my carry pistol for a quick qualification test, carried it a week, shot 200 rounds the next weekend at the range (that really hurts the wallet these days), and then cleaned it the following day. I used the blow drier (1250 watt) to warm the barrel (30 seconds or so), put some Froglube in it, let it sit 30 minutes, warmed it up again, and started cleaning. After doing this four times the barrel was perfectly clean (a big improvement over past experiences with other products). No wear anywhere on the pistol.

This stuff just works, and it smells good too. The trick seems to be heat (I didn't heat the rest of the pistol as much - only 5-10 seconds). Coverage isn't as good or as complete without it. Now I'm going to start applying it to everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    Well, I'm a Froglube believer now. I shot 40 rounds through my carry pistol for a quick qualification test, carried it a week, shot 200 rounds the next weekend at the range (that really hurts the wallet these days), and then cleaned it the following day. I used the blow drier (1250 watt) to warm the barrel (30 seconds or so), put some Froglube in it, let it sit 30 minutes, warmed it up again, and started cleaning. After doing this four times the barrel was perfectly clean (a big improvement over past experiences with other products). No wear anywhere on the pistol.

This stuff just works, and it smells good too. The trick seems to be heat (I didn't heat the rest of the pistol as much - only 5-10 seconds). Coverage isn't as good or as complete without it. Now I'm going to start applying it to everything else.
    So does it attract dirt like oil? That's the reason I use a dry lube. I find I don't have to "clean".

GeorgiaCarry
    Last edited by GeorgiaCarry; March 16th, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Cleandean View Post
    I have no doubt that you have used a longer list of products than I. After you've compared "Froglube" to the other products; I'll tend to believe your review.Can't trash it too much, ....developed by a former SEAL.... and it was a gimme gift.
    Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links