Trying Froglube

Trying Froglube

This is a discussion on Trying Froglube within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; My son gave me a container of Froglube. Now I'm a firm believer that guns don't care what you use as long as you take ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Trying Froglube

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Trying Froglube

My son gave me a container of Froglube. Now I'm a firm believer that guns don't care what you use as long as you take care of them, and that marketing hype is for suckers. But since it was free, I said what the heck.

I'm starting out with my AA .22 conversion for my Glock 30. It's a fine conversion kit, one I highly reccommend, but it will act up at about 100 rounds or so of dirty .22 ammo. Previously I've used Breakfree CLP (that came with it), Gunzilla, Hoppes, Auto grease, and 3-in-1 oil--all with about the same results. When the kit gets dirty enough, it wants to act up.

So to give Froglube a fair chance, I thoughly cleaned off all previous products and applied the green stuff and wiped it down, leaving only the slightest visiable trace on the rail grooves. Hopefully I can get out next week to give it a test run. I'm not real sure about its "minty fresh" aroma, but who knows?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have no doubt that you have used a longer list of products than I. After you've compared "Froglube" to the other products; I'll tend to believe your review.Can't trash it too much, ....developed by a former SEAL.... and it was a gimme gift.
    NRA member..... S&W mod. 58; Colt Gold Cup 1911 ( brite blued); 8 in Colt Python (nickle) ;/ SCAR 17s ( black); My ride... Jeep Grand Overland
    ..41 Magnum.........'cause shooting twice is silly.

VIP Member
    Interesting... I'll be interested to hear your report. I've heard plenty of folks swear by it, but I'm in your camp on gun lubes; I just keep 'em clean and use whatever, and I've never had any issues with any of my firearms. As expensive as it is, it'd have to do a heck of a job for me consider spending that much on a gun lube. I'm sure your average SEAL probably has much higher set of demands for a lube, so I'm sure it does its job well; I'm just not sure if it's a job I need done!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I've seen a lengthy thread on another site with many favorable comments by evil black rifle users.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

I bought Frog lube for my AR (scary black rifle.) It worked great there, so I followed with use on a couple of pistols & .22 rifles. The cleaning time was shortened and performed well. If you shoot Ruger 10/22's you know those guns can get grimy. They still do with the FL, but clean up is easier.

It's great stuff and I use it on all guns now.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Fla
    I have and still use it. It acts as a cleaner and lube. Best results is when you heat up the metal first.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Now I'm a firm believer that guns don't care what you use as long as you take care of them, and that marketing hype is for suckers. ...
    But the marketing hype allows me to obsess over something besides holsters and ammo.
    OldVet likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    So I ran 100 rounds of .22 thru my G30 today with only one stovepipe in an otherwise perfect run. I expected that, as conversions aren't known for being 100% reliable. Ran single shots, double taps, 2 COM-1 to head, and a couple of fast-as-I-can 10 shot dumps.

No problems with the Froglube, and cleanup was a cinch. It's too early to declare it the new "Wonder Lube," It has no negatives that I've noticed so far. Hopefully I can get back out and run my .45 reloads through it and see how it does with that grime.

Until then...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    well.....like holsters and ammo, I say: "You can never have enough different lubes, cleaners, and protect-ants for our precious safe queens"!

So I guess I'll hop to it and give froggy a try soon too.

Minty Fresh Scent you say

WOW sounds like they finally came-out with a firearms breath freshener. Maybe it wasn't so much the looks but the smell of AR's breath that the anti's don't like

NMB
    I pretty much use it exclusively.

For 10$ per tub, I dont get the cost complaints.

I shoot pretty frequently, and multiple firearms per range trip. I havent even gone through 1/4 of the tub in 4 months. The stuff just seems to work.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

If it doesn't stink to high heaven (like old formula Hoppe's #9 or Ballistol) and it hasn't been shown to possibly cause cancer in California lab rats, then it can't be ideal for cleaning & lubing my firearms. Guns are inherently dangerous, so IMHO, the chemicals to keep them clean & running should be toxic, against the law to mail & impossible to get past the TSA. If it smells good & you can lick it off your fingers...I ain't using it!
    elmacgyver0 and ffarl like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    If it smells good & you can lick it off your fingers...I ain't using it!
    You don't lick Hoppe's off your fingers??? Amateur
    NRA Life Member

Fla
    Enviro safe and non-toxic. Doesn't smell up the work area and you don't have to worry about getting the smell off skin and clothes. It coats well and has worked well for me.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    You don't lick Hoppe's off your fingers??? Amateur
    New Hoppe's? Yes. Old Hoppe's? No!
    john.shewchuk and TX expat like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    New Hoppe's? Yes. Old Hoppe's? No!
    <----- bows
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links