Springfield Trophy Match reassemble question

This is a discussion on Springfield Trophy Match reassemble question within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; New gun & followed manual. The recoil spring is first out & last in on this one. Is there any tool or trick to getting ...

New gun & followed manual. The recoil spring is first out & last in on this one.

Is there any tool or trick to getting the recoil spring compressed easier, it's a handfull literally.

I did search, so if I missed it don't beat me up, just post a link.

Thanks.

:)

Compress spring with one hand. Position spring with the other hand. Then use your third hand to install spring into the slide.

Presto! You're done! Wasn't that easy?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Compress spring with one hand. Position spring with the other hand. Then use your third hand to install spring into the slide.

Presto! You're done! Wasn't that easy?
    Chuckle,

I get it, you're saying it takes 2 people to put it back together. Like when I tell my wife to pump the brake pedal while I bleed the calipers. Should have figured.

Not necessarily. Just adding a little humor until someone who knows what they are doing comes along!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Seriously this one has the allen wrench. The spring is already in the slide, the slide stop is already fully in. Everything is done except compress the spring & twist on the barrel bushing & screw down the recoil spring (full length) guide with the allen wrench. 18lb spring. Have launched it a couple of times already. Gotta be a better way.

I like to clean every 50 rds during break in so this'll quickly become a pita less I can figure out a way to do it better.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Not necessarily. Just adding a little humor until someone who knows what they are doing comes along!
    I know, I was just kidding also. Gotta keep a sense of humor. At least I got it together without going to my dealer with a bag of parts.

Administrator
    I do remember that there is one video by a female on YouTube doing a field strip and re-assembly.

I remember that I wasn't too keen on some of her terminology and also the way that she reinserted her slide stop but she did have the re-installation of the 2 piece recoil spring down...though I would use a flat piece of brass over her chosen tool of a steel bladed screwdriver.

Let me see if I can find that VID and you can just fast forward to the end of it. I'll post it here in a few minutes.

Really though Why don't you just dump the Allen Wrench & the 2 piece full length guide rod and just buy the G.I. parts? The FLGR is a completely useless piece of unnecessary crap.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Really though Why don't you just dump the Allen Wrench & the 2 piece full length guide rod and just buy the G.I. parts? The FLGR is a completely useless piece of unnecessary crap.
    My thoughts exactly. I dearly love my Springfield TRP, but that 2-piece guide rod got replaced after my first teardown + clean. About $20 for the standard guide rod and plug from Brownell's.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks guys,

I may replace it, but I feel like I should be able to master it as is out of the box. What is supposed to be the reason for the 2 piece (FLGR)?

& thx for the link.

Crap, she made it look easy, maybe my spring is stiffer? I have avg to better hand size & strength. That last final detail where the bushing catches the lip of the guide plug is probably the "trick". I think I was trying to keep the plug depressed and twist the bushing to final position all at once.

Be nice if manual had a little more detail.

Can't wait to go get it dirty again.

Cheers & thx for the help!

Administrator
    What is supposed to be the reason for the 2 piece (FLGR)?

It's sole purpose is to see if you can remove it...take very careful aim...and somehow manage to pitch it into the wastebasket from 20' away on the first attempt. WITHOUT...hitting the edge of the wastebasket.

Without it. Though I do not reinsert the slide stop that way...here is what a 1911 field strip should look like minus the Allen Wrench and the FLGR.

Links