What makes FrogLube special?

This is a discussion on What makes FrogLube special? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; What makes FrogLube special? Iíve read on how FrogLube works: absorbing into the porosity of the metal (like seasoning a cast iron pan with fat). ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NMB
  • 1 Post By Smitty901

Thread: What makes FrogLube special?

Iíve read on how FrogLube works: absorbing into the porosity of the metal (like seasoning a cast iron pan with fat). When metal is heated, the pores expand allowing the oil to absorb into the pores (holes). Once the oil is absorbed and stored inside the pores, it protects the metal from rust and lubricates for a slicker surface. When the metal is heated during shooting, the pores reopen and some of the ďstoredĒ oil is released to provide lubrication. This definitely is proven to work for my seasoned cast iron pans. My iron pans donít have any rust, and my eggs donít stick.

So hereís the questions:

What makes FrogLube so special? Can the same be accomplished using any premium gun oil/grease?
    What are the negatives for ďseasoningĒ?
    Why isnít the gunís finish protection enough (i.e. Glockís tenifer)?
    How does FrogLube and the seasoning process affect tenifer (or similar)?

Jake

NMB
    I havent got a scientific answer for you.

All I know is this:

1) All of my guns run without issue with it applied (1911, AR, J-Frame, several bolt actions)
    2) They SEEM to clean up easier than when I used hoppes.
    3) Its non-toxic, and doesnt stink up the room im cleaning in like CLP or break free does.
    4) The above 3 reasons are reason enough for me :)

EDIT:

Also for 10$, the little tub I bought has lasted for 5 months so far and im not even 1/4 of the way through it. A little goes a long ways.
    fotomaker57 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm currently running a test on Froglube, nothing scientific, just using it to see what if anything is better or worse than any other clp product. So far I've concluded it smells nice and hasn't caused any problems. But then neither do any of the auto/marine/sewing/ run of the mill lubrications I've also used. And they are a lot less expensive.

That it enters the pores of heated metal? Well duh. That's physics for you. I've got an old .22 that got a hot oil dip back in the mid-'70s that hasn't rusted yet, and that was long before the current rage of miracle lubes.

As for the tenifer, I don't see where anything will improve that. It's pretty tough all by itself.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Fla
    I have been using it and I am sold on it. Works great, cleaning is easier, smells a WHOLE lot better and non toxic. And yes when the metal warms up it weeps from the metal. I also heat the metal with blow dryer before applying.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

Has anyone tried treating their metal with another premium lube the same way FrogLube, with similar results?

I would think all metals and lube would benefit from seasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    Has anyone tried treating their metal with another premium lube the same way FrogLube, with similar results?

I would think all metals and lube would benefit from seasoning.
    Watch the Fred Hart series on YouTube

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bBT3KUbpwm4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    All I can say is the US military did not supply it's soldiers with any FrogLube during WWI, WWII, KOrea or Viet Nam. The 1911 guns performed great. My father's military 1911 is here in my safe and it never had FrogLube applied to it.

Guys, you have to remember that advertising pays off. Nothing is ever as good as it is advertised and all of us have bought things that wound up being something on a shelf that we do not use.

All a company has to do is get some ads out there that give the end user a perception that the product works.

Not saying FrogLube does not work but it is not the best, end all lube out there. What I am saying is that next week, next month or next year, someone will be selling a lube that will be the state of the art, used in space, makes the gun shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards, etc and people will buy into it.

I have likely every type of lube made in the last 40 yrs in my shop. I clean guns 3-4 times per week and as near as I can tell, it is no better and no worse than many of the others. I clean and lube over 200 guns each year and I have tried many products, including FrogLube.

Just do not get caught up in perceptions or preconceived ideas about products or you will need a moving van to carry all the products you bought that were likely not as good as you thought it would be.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Its all I use, I love it. frog lube, bore snake, old tee shirt, thats it

It is the latest fad. Has a cool name and the internet.
    Good lube yes special not really. Plain old CLP has worked fine for many years, at no where near the cost.
    And CLP will protect better and longer when the weapon is in the vault.
    oldman45 likes this.

Ive tried many lubes in the past. Now I have a bunch. Just keep your guns cleaned and lubed with quality products and your good to go.

Links