Sig p238 assembly- safest next step?

This is a discussion on Sig p238 assembly- safest next step? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; So, I am a new shooter and have a brand new sig sauer p238. I have disassembled and reassembled a couple times. Was trying again ...

Thread: Sig p238 assembly- safest next step?

Sig p238 assembly- safest next step?

So, I am a new shooter and have a brand new sig sauer p238. I have disassembled and reassembled a couple times. Was trying again yesterday and had lots of trouble when trying to reassemble- the barrel kept coming back with the slide and I couldn't get the slide release lever seated back in properly. Finally figured out that's what the problem was and managed to get it together. Still can't figure out how I did it so easily the first time!! I was always mindful of the ejector and am hoping I didn't screw that up by pushing it down too far.

Question is, should I just go shoot it now or is there a safer way to determine that I did indeed get it back together ok? Just a little worried since I re-assembled it wrong so many times! I have re-inserted the magazine, but have not loaded it since.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Sig p238 assembly- safest next step?

The manual should have some function checks listed, right?

VIP Member
    I can only answer by analogy. I have a Mustang which I think is very similar. Yes, it is possible to reassemble
    it incorrectly. It takes some effort, but it is possible. If the slide is moving smoothly forward and back you probably are good to
    go. Take a look at the assembled gun, particularly at the position of the slide stop and make sure everything looks like the pic of the gun.

FWIW, I've had that pin come loose while shooting and the slide just fell off. I fired and next thing
    I knew I had pieces on the shooting bench. I have a post on here somewhere asking for advice and assistance,
    but the problem got solved by carefully paying attention to the reassembly.

Good luck. YMMV.

Added a moment later. I just looked at the 238 manual. Sure enough the pic on the front shows you exactly how
    things should be lined up with a properly assembled gun. Look at the upside down semi-circle cut out on the slide.
    Look at the slide stop. When assembling, you need to make sure the top of that gets pushed in deeply enough that the tip of is rides along the back side of the slide. Also, if you are just not lucky, your right hand can accidentally
    push that out of position when the gun fires.

When all else fails, post again and ask JD, who appears to be our resident guru on this style of weapon.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

If its like the mustang as soon as you insert the mag the ejector will pop back up if that doesn't work insert either your finger or something like a ink pen to set it back in position. What type of function checks do you wish to do if just un ejection test take either snap caps or empty hulls and cycle them you can use live ammo but make sure to be pointing in a safe direction. There fairly simple and straight forward. The ejector on the mustang is rounded so I doubt the sig will set off a loaded cartridge but I would want to point in a safe direction anyway any questions further feel free to pm me I have had te mustang for many years and am very familiar and my mother actually has the p238

Distinguished Member
    1st: Welcome to the group!
    2nd: Congratulations on your new P238... they are exceptional pistols!

During the re-assembly, once you've got the barrel back in the slide and the slide back on the frame (being careful of that tricky ejector), put the take-down pin into the frame before you pull the slide back to the half-moon access point. It will not go in all the way of course, but you need to get it in far enough to engage the small metal "loop" that's just below the chamber part of the barrel. Then you can pull the slide back far enough to press teh pin fully into the frame.

While you're doing this, be very careful that the pin doesn't rotate.... the part that goes into the "half moon" hole is rather sharp and it will scratch the slide or the frame if it's allowed to move around. The P238 if far too nice a gun to have such things :)

Also, you'll know if you push the ejector down too far, as it will disappear into the handle.

Best of luck and safe shooting!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I had a similar reassembly mistake when I had my P238. It was obvious to me, like you, when following the function check. Actually, my slide stop fell right out and the barrel slid all the way foward when I pulled the slide back, causing the slide and barrel to get hung up. I'm not sure either how I managed to do it. It appeared that I was able to insert the slide stop "outside" of the hole on the barrel (not sure of the technical term) where it belongs. Sounds like a similar mis-assembly happened to you.

The good thing is that your function check caught it. Knowing how all the parts should move is crucial to catching any mistakes. As far as your concerns about the ejector, as long as it isn't "stuck" in the fully downward position after assembly, it should be good. If you're still concerned that it's not quite right, perhaps bringing the pistol to the gun store to have someone verify would settle your worries. I've never known a LGS that wasn't willing to help someone make sure they were absolutely safe.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Nice! I go out to buy ammo and when I come back, my question is answered 6 times! This place is great! I feel better about it after all of your advice- I feel pretty confident I have it together correctly, but have no experience to back that up yet. The range I go to is great and I was planning on having them take a look at it for me before I shoot tomorrow. Only shot it once so far- about 50 rounds. So we'll see... Wish me luck! Thanks again!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerpuss View Post
    Nice! I go out to buy ammo and when I come back, my question is answered 6 times! This place is great! I feel better about it after all of your advice- I feel pretty confident I have it together correctly, but have no experience to back that up yet. The range I go to is great and I was planning on having them take a look at it for me before I shoot tomorrow. Only shot it once so far- about 50 rounds. So we'll see... Wish me luck! Thanks again!
    Good luck tomorrow. IMO this is an easy gun to disassemble and reassemble.
    Even getting in to the area holding the firing pin, firing pin spring and extractor is not difficult; reassembly is fairly easy.
    It is very intuitive. I've never had the problem of pushing the ejector too far down because I know to be cautious about it.
    Somewhere on this computer, among all the hidden folder and files and cubbies full of useful stuff I will one day struggle to find,
    I have detailed instructions for getting the ejector back into position after it has been pushed down too far. Probably these
    are on this forum as well-- courtesy of JD or Lima. I think if you are just moderately aware of the issue, you'll likely never
    push the ejector too far. It really isn't all that tricky to get it to just the right spot allowing the slide to move back.

Again, good luck.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I am very happy to report that everything went off without a hitch this morning. Shot about 100 rounds of 3 different brands of ammo and everything seemed to work fine- some of the bullets even landed where I aimed! Gun is good and dirty! Thanks to you all for the advice- I really appreciate it!

Links