How much stuff do you need in a good cleaning kit? - Page 2

How much stuff do you need in a good cleaning kit?

This is a discussion on How much stuff do you need in a good cleaning kit? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I use the M-Pro 7 universal kit M-Pro7 Tactical Universal Kit 070-1505 - MPro7 ____5307571_orig.jpg...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How much stuff do you need in a good cleaning kit?

Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I have bottles of cleaner and oil, cotton patches, a brush, and a bore brush for each caliber I own. I also have a silicone cloth from hoppes I use to wipe down the outside of my slide when I'm done. I guess you can call me basic when it comes to cleaning stuff.
    Honk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My kit is in a Plano fishing box. There's a lot of no-longer-used stuff in it as I don't like those out perfectly good stuff even when not used.

My basics are:
    1. A solvent. A straight solvent works better than combo solutions in my opinion. Otherwise, paint would have brush cleaner mixed in.
    2. Lube. I keep both oil and grease on hand. Any lube provides protection to some degree, some needing more frequent application than others. But gun maintenance should be routinely performed.
    3, Cleaning rods with brushes and jags.
    4. Q-tips and pipe cleaners for the tiny places.
    5. A handful of old T-shirt materials. Works as well as any commercial patches.
    Oldvet, I'd accuse you of stealing my cleaning kit, copying it, and putting it back....but I'm pretty sure you've had yours longer than I've had mine. Which either means I should be excited that I've been doing it right, or you should start worrying that you're doing it wrong.

I'm currently giving Froglube a try, so my solvent & lube are on hold. I like it so far.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadsmiles View Post
    Do you guys and gals use grease or oil?
    I use WeaponShield for everything. It was formulated by the same chemist that invented FP-10 (FirePower 10) for the military...and it has tested somewhat better than BreakFree CLP & FP-10 in independent lab testing - though I have never had any issues whatsoever w/ BreakFree CLP (Cleans Lubricates Protects) and if I couldn't get one I would use the other.

Lots of forum members are also using Gunzilla and they all seem very pleased with the product.

For the BugOutBag or for the camping pack I would never again pack Hoppes Solvent because even if you are being super careful it tends to permeate and stink up everything in a closed zippered up pack.

jbum likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    Oldvet, I'd accuse you of stealing my cleaning kit, copying it, and putting it back....but I'm pretty sure you've had yours longer than I've had mine. Which either means I should be excited that I've been doing it right, or you should start worrying that you're doing it wrong.

I'm currently giving Froglube a try, so my solvent & lube are on hold. I like it so far.
    Now it's getting scary. I received some Froglube for Xmas and am giving it a tryout. I'm not a hardover fan of miracle gun products, have never had a problem with simple things like 3-in-1 oil, but have to admit I kind of like that fresh minty aroma over Hoppes. Been there/done that with Gunzilla and don't feel the advantages (?) outweigh the cost compared to a $3 can of 3-in-1 and Hoppes.

Now stay out of my garage.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yes, sir.

Great ideas, always looking for new solvents/ lubricants! Appreciate the tips
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

I'm old school, I guess. If all I had was a big bottle of Hoppe's, a cleaning rod and some patches, I'd be fine. As it is, I have that and I also have a couple of bottles of Hoppe's gun oil, a bottle of gun grease, 9mm and .45 bore brushes, a handfull of Q-tips and a tube of metal polish. All of this goes in an old tackle box. I also have a towel for a cleaning mat, a "dirty" rag, a "clean" rag, and a silicone cloth for final wipe down.

Since all of this has worked fine for a couple of generations in my family, I see no reason to spend money on all of the fancy new stuff. Hoppe's has kept my guns cleaned and lubed for a loooong time.

A Boresnake for each caliber, oil, hoppes no 9, q tips, Steel dental picks, rags, a bore light, small screw driver and punch set, ...... minimalist kit is a boresnake and oil.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My kit is in a Plano fishing box. There's a lot of no-longer-used stuff in it as I don't like those out perfectly good stuff even when not used.

My basics are:
    1. A solvent. A straight solvent works better than combo solutions in my opinion. Otherwise, paint would have brush cleaner mixed in.
    2. Lube. I keep both oil and grease on hand. Any lube provides protection to some degree, some needing more frequent application than others. But gun maintenance should be routinely performed.
    3, Cleaning rods with brushes and jags.
    4. Q-tips and pipe cleaners for the tiny places.
    5. A handful of old T-shirt materials. Works as well as any commercial patches.
    Ha sounds just like my setup plano t-shirts and all good to go

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have a variety of cleaning rods, brushes, picks, oils and other solvents from the many different cleaning kits that I have purchased over the past 50 or 60 years. I have wooden rifle/shotgun cleaning rods from the 1890's, a 1960 bottle of Hoppe's #9 Nitro Powder Solvent, and a can of 3 in 1 oil from the 1950's. I do also use a SharperTek ultrasonic cleaner on ocassion to clean small parts. Cleaning guns is not a chore it is a stress reliever for me and a time to close out the surrounding world and have a cold one.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Thread is a few days old but all I really rely on is Weaponshield, a boresnake, an old toothbrush, and a silicone cloth.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I like to keep it simple by using the same tools for all of my guns. Hoppes oil and Hoppes solvent always do the trick. I bought one .22 rifle rod that can be broken down into a smaller shaft for my pistols. I have patches for each caliber. I run patches soaked in solvent through the barrel after every shoot followed by a patch lightly coated in oil. I also have a bore snake for every caliber but I like to use them sparingly, usually around the 400-500 round mark.

I have the same otis kit handy a small, but I use frog lube an cleaner smells minty an is bio an wont hurt nice wood grips or your table great stuff

A buddy said that his is a bore snake, some q-tips, a plastic handle brass brush, and a Super QGC.

I am torn if that will be enough or not. I also have patches and hoppies no 9 and the hoppies oil instead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links