Brand new Sig 250, first firearm, lubrication and cleaning

This is a discussion on Brand new Sig 250, first firearm, lubrication and cleaning within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I have a brand new Sig 250. I've never owned a gun before and I don't want to cause any problems and start off right. ...

Thread: Brand new Sig 250, first firearm, lubrication and cleaning

Brand new Sig 250, first firearm, lubrication and cleaning

I have a brand new Sig 250. I've never owned a gun before and I don't want to cause any problems and start off right. I've broken it down and put it back together several times and am somewhat surprised it has little to no oil on it out of the box. There is a slight gun oil smell but nothing visible really. Not sure what I expected but this is not really it. Should I clean it and oil prior to going to the range for my first class and if so how much?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Your owner's manual should provide guidence for its products, but in general, most manufacturers reccommend cleaning and lubing prior to shooting. The "oil" often found in new guns is more of a preservative rather than a lubricant. Follow your manual's reccommendations.

The standard "Oil what rotates; grease what slides" isn't bad info for a new gun going thru its breakin period. The problem is usually too much rather than too little. Too much can prolong the break-in, if the gun needs one. Excessive lube only attracts dirt and grime, which leads to malfunction. If it's running, it's too much. Apply a little, wipe off any excess.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links