Lube on the back of the Glock mag?

This is a discussion on Lube on the back of the Glock mag? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I've attached a photo of the dot of oil I keep getting on the back of my Glock mag just above the top hole. I've ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xXxplosive

Thread: Lube on the back of the Glock mag?

I've attached a photo of the dot of oil I keep getting on the back of my Glock mag just above the top hole. I've never had this before - I thought I'd just wipe it off. A day later, it was back. I wiped it off. A day later, back...and so on. Ten days later, I'm thinking what the...? I'm mostly just puzzled - I don't overlube, and of course my fear is that the oil is contaminating the primer on the top round and if I ever need the gun to go bang, it won't. Has anyone ever run into this before? Thanks. I think you can click on the photo to enlarge it. (New to the photo thing.)
    photo.JPG

Obvious over lube or excessive hair gel....IMO..........pick 1.
    Exacto likes this.

I haven't had your issue, but I can give you advice.

An oil like CLP is going to creep around and coat any dry surface nearby. That isn't a bad thing at all because it helps ensure metal has something on it instead of being dry. Heat accelerates the movement of thin lubrication oils. The idea that a little bit of oil would seep into a round and find it's way to the priming compound is kind of a myth. Box-o-Truth debunked it. The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

Personally, I prefer a grease for lubricating my semi-auto pistols and rifles. I use Superlube Synthetic Grease. Besides being an excellent grease (I couldn't be happier), it is also much cheaper than similar products specifically marketed towards gun owners (check Amazon.com). Unlike thin oils, grease stays where you put it. I wipe down guns with CLP to give a very thin protective coating, but any surface that has friction during operation gets Superlube.

VIP Member
    You may not 'overlube' but you've obviously got too much lube somewhere...

Strip the gun down, wipe all the lube off and start over. Personally I run my Glocks pretty close to dry and I've never had a problem. After I saw what lube and debris do to the striker channel, I barely lube them at all.

HICKOK45 has a good video detailing how he cleans his Glocks.

Last edited by TX expat; March 1st, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

My Glock came with a tiny bit of gold colored lube on the rails. I figure if it is good enough for Glock, it's good enough for me. Anybody know what that stuff is?
    Never get out of the boat....

5 drops is all you need on a glock, and i use grease.

Why remove mag daily?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to google a schematic of my gun and where to oil it. There are only a few places on the slide where you need it. Take a q-tip and put a few drops on it and rub the spots that need oil. The only thing that can go wrong with too much oil is it will attract dirt easier but won't affect a primer going off.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat_Guy View Post
    My Glock came with a tiny bit of gold colored lube on the rails. I figure if it is good enough for Glock, it's good enough for me. Anybody know what that stuff is?
    The gold colored grease is Loctite C5-A Copper Based Anti-Seize. It's good enough to prevent corrosion and seizing of the slide when the gun gets shipped out to sit on a dealer shelf for who knows how many days or years... I wouldn't buy it for lubrication.

Proper Lubrication of an Glock Pistol (#2) - YouTube Try buying a decent grease and doing what James Yeager shows in this video.

A dry Glock is a happy Glock.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat_Guy View Post
    Shipping grease. Some say not to remove it, but the Glock manual says to clean and lube before firing. Who should know better?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Why remove mag daily?
    don't usually, but the oil was driving me crazy! :)

thanks to everyone for the tips!

Re: Lube on the back of the Glock mag?

That's why I only use dry teflon lubes. Keeps it slick without a mess. Also doesn't attract dirt and doesn't freeze. Not a big issue for a carry gun, but for semi auto goose shotguns it's huge!

In God and Glock we Trust

Sponsored Links