Kimber Ultra feed ramp question

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra feed ramp question within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Hey all! I have purchased and will be picking up soon a Kimber Ultra Carry II with Crimson grips. Very excited. My first 1911. I ...

Hey all! I have purchased and will be picking up soon a Kimber Ultra Carry II with Crimson grips. Very excited. My first 1911.

I have read a lot of info regarding 3" 1911s being finicky about what ammo they like to feed.

Here is my question; do I need to or should I polish the feed ramp with Flitz or Simichrome polish?

I've got an Ultra Raptor II and I've never polished anything on it. I just buy quality ammo that befits a quality gun.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Short answer: don't do a thing - yet. Run a bunch of ball ammo through the gun first, and see how it runs. Assuming ball ammo works well for a hundred rounds or more, then try your favorite defense loads. Chances are, it'll run just fine; and if it doesn't, I'd be super careful about mucking up an aluminum frame. More feeding problems are magazine and spring-related than are due to feed ramp problems.

FWIW, the feed ramp on my CDP Pro came very nicely polished.

Be aware that short 1911s beat up recoil springs a lot quicker than the full-size guns do. Somewhere before the thousand-round mark I'd be looking to replace the spring, maybe sooner. Just keep an eye on how far the brass gets tossed - if the gun starts dropping the empties almost at your feet, it's time for a fresh spring. Perfectly normal for these compact guns.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear from Ultra owners and some guy who saw a video about Ultras not feeding. I do have the plan to run the ball ammo through it, hopefully to 500. I am having a hard time finding the HST I want to run through it, so I have a box of Corbon right now. I do have a Kim-pro Tac mag coming for it and may get. Wilson as well.. I have heard that the stock Kimber mags have followers that gouge the mag well or something to that effect, but haven't decent info on that. Can you confirm this? I had planned on replacing the recoil springs at about 800. Ae the Kimber springs good or do I need to run Wolff springs?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith6470 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear from Ultra owners and some guy who saw a video about Ultras not feeding. I do have the plan to run the ball ammo through it, hopefully to 500. I am having a hard time finding the HST I want to run through it, so I have a box of Corbon right now. I do have a Kim-pro Tac mag coming for it and may get. Wilson as well.. I have heard that the stock Kimber mags have followers that gouge the mag well or something to that effect, but haven't decent info on that. Can you confirm this? I had planned on replacing the recoil springs at about 800. Ae the Kimber springs good or do I need to run Wolff springs?
    The Ultras don't really have an aftermarket replacement, shoot the gun as is and go fro there. The part about the mags is partially correct, it can happen but it's not guaranteed. Either way you will always need more mags so it's no big deal to be buying more.

You can go past 800 rds on the Ultra springs, it's the Pro / Compact guns that tend to have spring issues, your users manual will have the round count when the springs should be replaced.

Links