Dry firing a glock

This is a discussion on Dry firing a glock within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I have always been told... And believe that dry firing a gun is bad for it. Now as you all know the only way to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Dry firing a glock

Dry firing a glock

I have always been told... And believe that dry firing a gun is bad for it. Now as you all know the only way to disassemble a glock is to dry fire it and I have been told that glock pistols were designed to be dry fired without any damage. Is this true?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Yes.
    sioux565 and Zeebra724 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Its a non-issue with Glocks. Perfectly safe, as it is with most modern center fire guns.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

...the owner's manual instructs you, under "Unloading" to dry fire it...

Administrator
    Individual Glock firearms have gone many many thousands of dry fire reps during draw and presentation practice with no ill effects.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Just because you've been told something doesn't mean it's true. I bet your Glock manual has something to say on the subject.
    Taurahe likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Again, dry firing your Glock is just fine. No worries.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Just a general note or two on dry firing. With the general shift to rebounding firing pin mechanisms, and with improved metallurgy since slightly before WWII, dry-firing centerfire guns is generally no longer a problem. I would avoid dry-firing break-action long guns (especially those that sell for more than a week's pay), but repeating guns of all sorts can safely be dry-fired without fear of hurting the gun. The most common problem with dry firing appears to be broken firing pins, but that situation has been improved with better metallurgy.

Rimfires are a different story. Unless the gun has been designed for safe dry-firing, it's probably best to err on the side of caution and not dry-fire rimfire guns indiscriminately. I can say without equivocation that every Ruger rimfire made is safe to dry fire, due to foresight in design of both firing pin and chamber. By inspection, if the breech face of the gun has a cutout in line with the firing pin on the bolt, then you can be reasonably certain that dry firing won't hurt it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

...appreciate the Ruger info...been considering a couple...that 'bout nails it ...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Davejb View Post
    Just because you've been told something doesn't mean it's true. I bet your Glock manual has something to say on the subject.
    Without really getting into some hot and heavy debate since I am not a GLOCK guy and so I do not really have a dog in this fight...many shooters have dry fired their Glock pistols thousands of times without damage or incident but, GLOCK now recommends the use of Snap Caps for extensive dry firing.

This from a reply directly from GLOCK Firearms.
    Generally, dry firing the Glock pistol is not a problem, however, when taken to excess, e.g., thousands of dry firings, Glock now recommends the use of snap-caps.
    When taken to the extreme, the breech-face can be damaged.

gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Just a general note or two on dry firing. With the general shift to rebounding firing pin mechanisms, and with improved metallurgy since slightly before WWII, dry-firing centerfire guns is generally no longer a problem. I would avoid dry-firing break-action long guns (especially those that sell for more than a week's pay), but repeating guns of all sorts can safely be dry-fired without fear of hurting the gun. The most common problem with dry firing appears to be broken firing pins, but that situation has been improved with better metallurgy.

Rimfires are a different story. Unless the gun has been designed for safe dry-firing, it's probably best to err on the side of caution and not dry-fire rimfire guns indiscriminately. I can say without equivocation that every Ruger rimfire made is safe to dry fire, due to foresight in design of both firing pin and chamber. By inspection, if the breech face of the gun has a cutout in line with the firing pin on the bolt, then you can be reasonably certain that dry firing won't hurt it.
    thank for the info on the Ruger, I just bought a Ruger 22 and was wondering about that
    Gun control, the ability to hit your target

VIP Member
    I heard from MSNBC that Glocks are so dangerous that each time you dry fire one somebody, somewhere in the world, dies from it. Also, I heard then when you are sleeping they will sometimes sneak out of their places and try to strangle you.

Be careful my friends.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member
    I do dry fire drills twice a week, probably around 50 trigger pulls each time - no worries, only thing to worry about is making sure IT IS unloaded. Check it, with your eye's and your finger, then put it down, pick it up and check it again, then check it again, then proceed to dry fire.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I just did some quick math- over 12,000 dry fires in my G36.

You can dry fire anything except rimfire.

In God and Glock we Trust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links