Hoppe's #9

This is a discussion on Hoppe's #9 within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I’ve read a lot of things out there about you should not use Hoppe's 9 on aluminum due to possible corrosion issues. How accurate is ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 2 Post By Nix

Thread: Hoppe's #9

Hoppe's #9

I’ve read a lot of things out there about you should not use Hoppe's 9 on aluminum due to possible corrosion issues.
    How accurate is this statement?
    Is this referring to the solvent only or all their products including the gun oil?

2. Remove Ads

I've not had issues with Hoppe's No. 9 reacting with aluminum surfaces. I have very few firearms with any aluminum components and of those that do (Ruger 77 floor plate, AR 15 upper and lower receiver, Remington Model 870 trigger guard, and a Smith & Wesson Model 642 frame represent the sum total of aluminum in the firearms collection) the factory finish provided remains intact. No degrading of finished aluminum alloy surfaces has ever been observed.

Hoppe's No. 9 has long been said to be detrimental to nickel plating. This is possibly true that it can degrade nickel finishes which allow the solvent to get underneath the layer of nickel plating. What is likely happening is that the Hoppe's No. 9 is reacting with the copper plating applied to the firearm in advance of receiving the nickel plating. Nickel won't bond directly to steel surfaces, not unless there are some new electro-plating processes of which I am unaware. So the firearm is copper plated first and then nickel plated in order to achieve the desired finish. Hoppe's, along with other solvents having the desirable characteristics of dissolving copper fouling from bores, degrades any copper exposed on a nickel finish that has been scratched, worn, or is flaking. This causes nickel plating to loosen. Or, so is claimed.

Now the rest of the story is that on one occasion I deliberately set out to "strip" the nickel finish off of an ancient Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector .32-20 revolver I once had by soaking it for some months in a bath of Hoppe's No. 9. This would have been around 1980 or so and the formulation of Hoppe's may have changed since that time. I'd long heard of Hoppe's No. 9's habit of causing nickel to turn loose. This revolver had bad wear, scratches, patches of nickel finish missing and loose nickel still adhering to the exterior surfaces.

The experimental effort to remove the nickel finish was a complete bust. No additional nickel turned loose and the remaining nickel surfaces were unaffected in any way. Makes me wonder if the caution about using Hoppe's No. 9 on nickel arms is overblown. I clean my nickel revolvers with Hoppe's No. 9 but insure that they are completely dried of the solvent when the cleaning chore is done. No problems have been observed with this method of cleaning.

I confess to really liking Hoppe's No. 9. I've always used it. It always gives the desired results. I like the fragrance. I'm uninterested in trying newer gun cleaning solvents.

Why I like Hoppe's No. 9 so much I even pour it in my bowl of cornflakes in the morning!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I do not think the product will cause corrosion. I believe the statement was just the solvent not the oil. I just use it to clean the barrel, chamber and maybe a bolt. I do not use on the exterior parts. I was told by somebody in the the industry that is it if fine to use inside the bore. I have not had any issues due to it. However I know it will desolve copper from inside the barrel so it there is something to it. I run the patch let it soak a few moments and remove the product with a dry patch. I would not let it soak for any long periods of time.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I confess to really liking Hoppe's No. 9. I've always used it. It always gives the desired results. I like the fragrance. I'm uninterested in trying newer gun cleaning solvents.

Why I like Hoppe's No. 9 so much I even pour it in my bowl of cornflakes in the morning!
    me too! tasty
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I've heard of it discoloring aluminum but not actually corroding it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I once read on a Hoppes site, FAQs I believe, that it was not recommended to soak chrome-lined bores with #9 as it could seep beneath the chrome through scratches, etc., and cause flaking. Alas, I cannot find that reference again.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I use Hoppes #9 and my Ruger P90 has an aluminum frame which I have routinely applied Hoppes to and have seen no ill effects from doing so.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I use it on my S&W air weight and haven't seen any ill effects. It cleans the carbon and powder residue and leaves the finish looking good as new.

Nix
    My wife has figured out that the best way to get my attention is to wear a little Hoppe's No. 9 like perfume: a dab behind each ear and a little rubbed on the wrists. Man, I love my birthdays.....
    foxytwo and msgt/ret like this.

Links