Cleaning breech to muzzle question

This is a discussion on Cleaning breech to muzzle question within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; 1. Does this method only apply to long guns? 2. I was told that this does not work with revolvers.is this true? 3. If you ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WINTEJER000
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Cleaning breech to muzzle question

1. Does this method only apply to long guns?
    2. I was told that this does not work with revolvers.is this true?
    3. If you are using a brush are you supposed to unscrew it once it comes out through the muzzle and slowly pull the rod back out then screw the brush back on and insert it through the breech then make another pass through the barrel?

i push the wire brush breech to muzzle all the way out and then i pull it all the way back 15-20 times, for patches i only run them breech to muzzle unless its the last "lubing" pass in which i pull it muzzle to breech.
    revolvers come in many different styles and some can and some cant be cleaned how you described.

just dont change direction of the wire brush mid barrel, it will destroy the wire brush.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

I use bore snakes for my guns unless there is a squib in it, but i always do breech to muzzle even on most revolvers.
    GeorgiaCarry likes this.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

I've run brushes, swabs and patches both ways in most wheelguns. Some rifles too. Pretty tough going in a muzzle loader and I had a few of those too.

Seems to me pushing either a brush or an oiled patch from breech to muzzle would be easy in most revolvers.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I mostly use bore snakes. But when I use a rod I always go one direction,breech to muzzle and unscrew brush. The way I see it, like other anatomy'y it's exit only!!!LOL
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

1. Does this method only apply to long guns?

It can apply to any firearm for which one may easily insert cleaning equipment from the breach end. There are two schools of thought on cleaning from the muzzle. One holds that this contributes to wear and damage to the crown. The other holds that it cases wear and damage to the chamber and throat. The second school claims it's easier to re-crown as necessary then it is to re-cut chamber/throat/leade.

2. I was told that this does not work with revolvers.is this true?

A cleaning rod cannot make the bend from the side of the revolver's frame window so that it may push a patch through the revolver's barrel so this would be true.

3. If you are using a brush are you supposed to unscrew it once it comes out through the muzzle and slowly pull the rod back out then screw the brush back on and insert it through the breech then make another pass through the barrel?

Just push the brush completely clear and then pull it back through. Don't attempt to reverse a brush in mid-stroke. If the brush fits properly then it's unnecessarily damaged and the bore may suffer as well. If the brush may easily be reversed while in the rifle's bore then it's worn out or the wrong size, neither of which does much good. All the way through is best.

I subscribe to cleaning from the muzzle if possible. I feel that I can control the cleaning rod better this way. I dislike running the cleaning rod through the action of a bolt gun. A handy cradle holds my long arms horizontally while they are being cleaned unless a field expedient cleaning is called for with the long arm propped against the kitchen table at our old cabin or bumper or tail gate of the pickup. Horizontal cleaning limits solvents running into actions or soaking into stocks. I keep a few of these brass muzzle guides on hand to protect the crown of rifles as they are being cleaned.

https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index...th=109_117_120

For the breech-cleaning enthusiasts there are also guides made for the purpose.

Dewey Semi-Auto Breech Rod Guide 9 AR-15

https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index...y&path=109_119

I don't use brass or aluminum rods or any coated or segmented rods. A solid one-piece steel rod is fine. Some say that grit may become imbedded in the softer brass and aluminum rods, contributing to unnecessary wear and damage to bores. This is true in spades of the coated rods. The segmented rods have joints to increase wear and are just generally unsatisfactory to use.

Most rifles around here have been on hand for 25-35 years and all shoot as well as ever being cleaned from the muzzle. A slam-bang, hurry-through-the chore technique does more harm than careful use of good rods with muzzle guides, all fitted out with properly sized bronze brushes, brass jags, and appropriate cleaning patches.

Around here the bore solvent of choice is Hoppe's No. 9. If Hoppe's won't remove copper fouling from a bore quickly enough then Sweet's 7.62 bore solvent is brought into play.

Hoppe's 9 - The Gun Care People

SWEET'S 7.62 BORE CLEANER | Brownells

Being geezerly and enthusiastically closed-minded about some things, I'm not even interested in knowing about any other bore solvents or cleaners. Am not messing with success.

Bore snakes? They'd better stay far away from my firearms. I'm about as enthused about repeatedly dragging a used bore snake through my firearms as I would be to employ used toilet paper for the big job. Considering their method of operation and the accumulation of grit, crud, soot, and grime, bore snakes are a completely daft idea.
    sealteam20001 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    some breach loading guns has to be cleaned from the muzzle end, suck as an M1A/m14. in which case a rod guide can be used to protect the crown. the crown, being the last thing the bullet touches. is a major contributor factor of accuracy, or lack there of.

as far as unscrewing the brush...the rod is what causes wear, not the brush.

i use a bore snake most of the time, no need to worry about damaging the crown. works for wheel guns too. it should be fine as long as you keep the snake clean, they can be washed. i wash mine in a parts cleaner. don't use the snake if you think that there is dirt/sand in the bore. spray it out first, grit in the bore will embed it self into a brush as it does in a snake.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

MJK
    Solid advice from bmcgilvray...go with it!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

I use these Boresnakes. Very effective. I also sometimes use patches to do a final clean.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Crown damage concerns come primarily from the military's use of steel cleaning rods and repetitive cleaning to keep the barrel inspection clean. Brass, aluminum, or fiber rods won't harm the rifling or crown. I go either direction, depending on the firearm. Do what works best or makes you feel most comfortable.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

This may be slightly off-topic, but what purpose do those little pointy jags serve? How or where are they supposed to be used? I think I get everything pretty clean with either a bore brush or a toothbrush, then run the oiled patches through. Someone please educate me!

I was wondering the same as above.

Links