Pointed jags????

This is a discussion on Pointed jags???? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; What purpose do those little pointy jags serve? How or where are they supposed to be used? I think I get everything pretty clean with ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Pointed jags????

Cool Pointed jags????

What purpose do those little pointy jags serve? How or where are they supposed to be used? I think I get everything pretty clean with either a bore brush or a toothbrush, then run the oiled patches through. Someone please educate me!

2. Remove Ads

I rarely use them. The theory is they make a tighter fit for the patch going though the barrel and then drop the patch when it exits the muzzle.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

VIP Member
    The ones I have fit he bore tightly and clean better than the slotted jags, the point is just to keep the patch in place as it’s being inserted into the bore.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The ones I have fit he bore tightly and clean better than the slotted jags, the point is just to keep the patch in place as it’s being inserted the bore.
    Yep, that is all I use. I put the patch on the point off center and it works great.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Wipe (slotted) vs scrub (pointed).
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I use the Otis vinyl coated wire to pull a slotted jag through from breech to muzzle.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

I use a bore brush and solvent to free everything up, and then switch to a pointed jag and a solvent-soaked rag. I find that the pointed jag seems to help the patch remove more gunk per pass than simply pulling it through with a slotted jag. I've used both methods, and they both work.

I use the point on the jag to run a solvent soaked rag up and down the rail slots in the slide to get the gunk out.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

Hold a rag in the center with your hand about 2" above a dirty surface and drag it across - that's the cleaning a slotted tip accomplishes.
    Now press your hand flat across the same rag spread out over the same dirty surface and push the rag across - that's the cleaning a jag accomplishes.

Links