Hard to get rust

This is a discussion on Hard to get rust within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; So I clean my guns every month or two. They are normally unfired so its more so a spot cleaning. So while unloading my lc9 ...

Thread: Hard to get rust

Hard to get rust

So I clean my guns every month or two. They are normally unfired so its more so a spot cleaning. So while unloading my lc9 so I could cross state lines I noticed some rust build up on my mag release. Now I clean them often and they are never wet so I attribute it to some foggy salt air and maybe sweat while on my motorcycle.

I've gotten all the visible from the outside rust and let clp seep down through the mag release but there is still some I just can't get to on the inside with my big fingers. I went at it with everything I have even pipe cleaners.

Ideas on how to take care of the rust?

2. Remove Ads

dental pick

A drop or two of Kroil will kill active rust. "The Oil That Creeps." Can penetrate "one millionth of an inch spaces." I used to wonder how it stayed in it's formed sheet metal can with a seam until the last can I bought did allow about half the Kroil to leak out onto my work bench. Anyway it's good on rust. A dental pick, as nedgr21 suggests, or a toothpick will aid in removal.

Penetrating-Lubricating Oils
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member
    Where you storing them?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    When I carried in the 80s I had only blued guns and mostly revolvers. I would take them once a year to the smith for a tuneup, complete dissasembly, and cleaning. This took care of all the hidden areas, and kept them in top shape. I am more confident now in my own ability to dissasemble my semi autos and put them back together correctly, But Id still take a double action revolver in to be done by a good smith. DR

Wouldn't a good soaking with standard gun oil every now and then prevent this? I leave my firearms rather wet with oil after cleaning, especially the black and blue ones.

VIP Member
    Golden Rod brother....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I'm pretty sure I can attribute it to sweat and sea air/fog. I'll likely take it to a gun smith because I can't reach with even small stuff like a dental pick.

Storage? My table or iwb (no kids or pets). My other guns are in a cabinet with 2 of those 100 cubic cm dehumidifiers and don't have an issue. My bed gun doesn't have any issue with rust so it is definitely what I mentioned above. I guess I'll explore the gun smith option. Thanks guys.

...try a pack of torch cleaners...you can get them at a welding supply, some plumbing houses...maybe even at Home Dippy...they're about 3" long and different size wires...

https://www.forneyind.com/store/deta..._extra_length/

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I can attribute it to sweat and sea air/fog. I'll likely take it to a gun smith because I can't reach with even small stuff like a dental pick.

Storage? My table or iwb (no kids or pets). My other guns are in a cabinet with 2 of those 100 cubic cm dehumidifiers and don't have an issue. My bed gun doesn't have any issue with rust so it is definitely what I mentioned above. I guess I'll explore the gun smith option. Thanks guys.

Links