Fireclean . . . The real deal?

Fireclean . . . The real deal?

This is a discussion on Fireclean . . . The real deal? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I'm not a big believer in "miracle" gun products, but I am prone to try new things from time to time. Some products make such ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By OldVet

Thread: Fireclean . . . The real deal?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.

Thumbs up Fireclean . . . The real deal?

I'm not a big believer in "miracle" gun products, but I am prone to try new things from time to time. Some products make such outrageous claims one might expect to leave a dirty firearm and a bottle of the product in a room alone and return an hour later to find not only the firearm in pristine condition, but safely reloaded and put away in the safe for future use.

A while back I ordered a couple of small bottles of Fireclean, intending to give one to my son and trying a bottle for myself. For comparison purposes, I've treated half of my handguns with Froglube and the other half with Fireclean. One thing I noticed about the Froglube was how slick it made parts, almost too slick to keep the recoil spring assembly in place. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot my FL guns much, so the long-term results are not in.

One thing I noticed about Fireclean is it stays wet. I sent my S&W 4566 in for some minor repairs a while back and when it returned I cleaned it and gave it the Fireclean treatment. A few weeks later I broke it down and found the rails and other treated areas still "wet," unlike other products that seem to dissipate after a few days. I gave it a good cleaning and was surprised to see more black residue that was invisible to the naked eye coming off. Yesterday, after receiving a new recoil spring from Wolff, I took the 4566 out for a test run to verify the repairs and springs were good to go.

One hundred rounds of 230 grain cast lead bullets later I decided the Florida heat and humidity was getting the nest of me and called it a day. Those of you who shoot cast lead know how much gunk builds up from the powder, lead, and sticky lube. The gun, although running like a champ, was a visual mess inside. After getting home, I applied a few drops of Fireclean to a small cloth, and to my surprise, the black gunk wiped right off.

I've used the fabled Gunzilla before--and it performed well--but it did not clean as well as the Fireclean did. I ran a Fireclean soaked patch thru the barrel and set it aside while I tended to the rest of the gun. All of the fouling wiped off with a piece of cloth, requiring a cotton swap and cleaning brush only to get into the nooks and crannies where I couldn't wipe with my fingers. I've never had a dirty firearm clean so easily. After letting the bore sit for about 10 minutes, I ran a brush through it, and four patches later, the bore was sparkling clean. I tend to over clean my firearms, so I wiped everything down with a second soaked cloth and then wiped the residue away with a clean rag. A Fireclean soaked Q-tip run along the rails and wear points completed the cleanup.

All I can say is: Wow! I've finally found a gun product that not only lives up to the hype but exceeds it. My bottle of Hoppes #9 and 3-in-1 oil may get designated to the bullpen for late inning backup duty.

Interesting enough, I received my latest issue of GUNS magazine, and in it, John Conners has an article on testing various products, including Fireclean. His report mirrors what I found in my use of Fireclean. You might want to pick up a copy if you don't subscribe.

[Per WHEC724's request] OldVet out!
    357and40, WHEC724 and tubadude like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    You forgot to say "OldVet out".

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

Thanks f or the review. I gave been using slip 2000 as a lubricant and have been very happy with the results. Pro-shot 1 step as a cleaner worjs well and the wife never complsins about the smell of oranges this product has. She never liked the smell of hoppes. How is the odor of Fireclean?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Smell? Didn't notice it had one. I guess that's a good thing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yes fire clean is the real deal. lol

The reviews on amazon are all 5 star. I had never heard of this stuff before.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I thought "wet" was bad because it tends to collect lint into a gummy mess that can foul the action.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Thanks for the review. Ive been looking for something to help with the leading of my cast reloads. And this does sound like the real deal.

Distinguished Member
    Are you using it to clean and lubricate?
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    I've been using FireClean for the last 1/2 of this year. It works as advertised and I like it much better than Froglube. I liked CLP and Mobil 1 oil better than Froglube. FireClean is the real deal.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Fireclean is pretty good stuff!! I use it now exclusively.

I use it as a lubricant, protectant and to remove, lead out of guns that I shoot my own cast lead bullets through. Great stuff.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Sounds like a good product. Thanks for sharing.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Here are my personal pics. This was my G21 with solid lead bullets out of a KKM barrel notices how dirty the flashlight is. Also the cleaner and toilet paper in the background is the only thing i used to clean it.

“Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    I've been using it since I took my Utah permit class as the instructor recommended it.

You can also go longer between cleanings and it still cleans right up. Good stuff....

Sponsored Links