Rust treatment/prevention

This is a discussion on Rust treatment/prevention within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I'm spoiled. Since I discovered Glocks about 10 years ago, I've never really worried much about rust. However, I have installed a Heinie Slant Pro ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Wunderneun
  • 1 Post By Easy8
  • 1 Post By BurgerBoy
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret

Thread: Rust treatment/prevention

I'm spoiled. Since I discovered Glocks about 10 years ago, I've never really worried much about rust. However, I have installed a Heinie Slant Pro rear sight and Dawson fiber optic front sight on my G26 and I like to carry it AIWB under a t-shirt or other shirt against my bare skin and in the summer (or AZ heat in the winter/spring) it gets plenty sweaty. I've been wiping it off whenever I get a chance, but I noticed the other day that the rear sight was showing some oxidation.

I'm also worried about a S&W 442 recently acquired because I've begun carrying it on occasion in a Remora holster (the Glock is in a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment horsehide holster) and I'm concerned about rust from my sweat.

First, is there something simple that can remove the existing rust - no pitting yet that I can see - and then, second, how can I help prevent further rusting? I realize I could go back to the stock Glock sights and the problem is solved, but I've grown accustomed to the Heinie/Dawson combination and would like to stick with it.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    You could just make sure you have a good coating of CLP or similar applied to the sight before carrying.

I have to do the same thing to my Walther P5, except I have to do the entire slide and the controls. I'll be glad when summer is over.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Froglube
    Doghandler likes this.

Thankee. Any more suggestions? How about removing the oxidation? Will CLP and/or Froglube take care of that? How about WD40?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    A good coat of silicon with a silicon cloth will also help prevent rust.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    Thankee. Any more suggestions? How about removing the oxidation? Will CLP and/or Froglube take care of that? How about WD40?
    NEVER use WD-40 on any firearm; the WD stands for Water Displacing which works well for getting water out of electrical connectors. But after drying out a bit just turns to gum and has no lubricating qualities whatsoever. Just stick to any quality gun lubricant to lubricate and protect the metal.
    Cleandean and OldVet like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Preventing rust on a gun is like preventing diaper rash on an infant. Good luck.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Gun Butter works great.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    WD40 will be fine as long as you're not relying on it to lube the internal components. i use TUF-GLIDE (or SMOOTH-KOTE) for the sights and other external control surfaces, degrease first then apply. won't attract lint like oil.

i use to use dry lube for my carry 1911 because i could fully disassemble it and degrease then coat everything. but no so on the Hk, for it i use reguler gun oil and gun grease.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    NEVER use WD-40 on any firearm; the WD stands for Water Displacing which works well for getting water out of electrical connectors.
    I wouldn't even use it for connectors.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Had the same problem with my ameriglo sights on my g23. I now use a toothbrush and sewing machine oil every couple of days on the exposed parts of the slide and especially on/around the sights. I also saw rust beginning on my extractor, keep an eye on it as well.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Links