Where to apply Gunzilla on a bore snake?

This is a discussion on Where to apply Gunzilla on a bore snake? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; After reading lots of discussion, I have settled into using Gunzilla with a bore snake for cleaning and lubing my XDM 9mm barrel. I am ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Doghandler

Thread: Where to apply Gunzilla on a bore snake?

Where to apply Gunzilla on a bore snake?

After reading lots of discussion, I have settled into using Gunzilla with a bore snake for cleaning and lubing my XDM 9mm barrel. I am using a Hoppe's bore snake.

I understand that for cleaning, I should but Gunzilla on the front section, before the brushes, and for lubrication I should put it after the bristles. Could those of you with more experience confirm?

Assuming that my lubrication statement is correct, how far back should I apply Gunzilla to the snake? Right after the brushes? Further back? I assume the further back I apply it, the more film will be left in the barrel. So what do you think is optimal?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Bore snakes work well for a fast clean on a rifle or a Mk111 but for pistol barrels the old rod an brush works the best followed by patchs, for lead fowling Iuse the lewis lead removal tool takes just couple of minutes to remove lead.

Why not spray it in the barrel, run a short brush back and forth, and finish it off by running a dry bore snake through it a few times?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think to get good coverage with any lubricant, you'd waste quite a lot b/c as you pull the snake through the barrel the cloth section is stretched and narrows considerably, losing contact with the barrel surface. For a thorough cleaning and lube stick with jags and patches.

Why not spray it in the barrel, run a short brush back and forth, and finish it off by running a dry bore snake through it a few times?
    I have been saturating the barrel for fifteen minutes or so before running the moistened bore snake through several times. Adding the brush step makes great sense.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I think to get good coverage with any lubricant, you'd waste quite a lot b/c as you pull the snake through the barrel the cloth section is stretched and narrows considerably, losing contact with the barrel surface. For a thorough cleaning and lube stick with jags and patches.
    Thanks. As you can probably deduce, I am new to handguns. I suppose I have been spooked by the talk about damaging the crown during cleaning, which led me to choose to use a bore snake exclusively. The consensus here seems to be that I am being foolish.

Any special tips for a novice to avoid doing damage during cleaning with rods and patches?

Thanks.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The advantage of a cleaning rod and patches over a boresnake is you can throw the dirty patches away and start over with clean ones.
    357and40 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Not foolish, just uneducated - but that's getting taken care of by asking questions . Most handguns have particularly large bores and short lengths which makes it easy to just push the rod through without rubbing the rod against the crown (which is how it's damaged). Just don't go crazy slamming the rod back and forth and you'll be fine. You also don't want to rub the rod against the chamber end either. Additionally, use of a short rod makes it much easier to control and the rod won't bend as much. Remember, the barrel is made of steel so occasionally bumping rod and barrel isn't going to destroy your gun's accuracy either. When cleaning rifles, it's a good idea to use a bore guide to avoid damaging the chamber and cleaning from breech to muzzle - helps keep the gunk out of the chamber. I also use a pointed jag for patches as I can push it thru just enough that the patch falls off when I pull the rod back through the barrel, yet the jag never fully leaves the bore and thus remains centered in the bore so I don't have to worry about the crown being damaged.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Cleaning is as much of an art as shooting.
    IndianaSig likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Doghandler, I never thought of it like that but your right. For those of us that shoot alot its imperative for accuracy to have a clean bore. I have always enjoyed cleaning after a range trip.

Quote Originally Posted by StillLearning View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their help.
    Thanks again for the advice. I thought I would report back with an update.

I decided to start with the bore snake using my old technique, and then follow that with patches. To my surprise, the patches are coming out completely clean! I am sure that will change as my bore snake gets dirtier, but it does show that a relatively clean bore snake can do a pretty good job. (Not sure how much credit Gunzilla gets for this.) However, without following with patches one has very little idea whether the bore snake is still cleaning well.

Links