NIB S&W 642 Fireing Pin Failure

This is a discussion on NIB S&W 642 Fireing Pin Failure within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I picked up my new 642 after work tonight. No time for the range so once home I load up snap caps and try alittle ...

Thread: NIB S&W 642 Fireing Pin Failure

NIB S&W 642 Fireing Pin Failure

I picked up my new 642 after work tonight. No time for the range so once home I load up snap caps and try alittle trigger work. I notice it's VERY difficult to close the cylinder and I can't cycle it. It locks up with the snap caps in. After looking it over for a few minutes I see the fireing pin is extended and won't retract. The snap caps are getting caught on the fireing pin.

Off to S&W it goes for warranty work. I know they will make it right and I probably have it back in 10 days or so.

This was abit worrisome though. That's a catastrophic failure and now i'm wondering about the inner workings of the fireing pin in the 642. Was it most likely an internal part failure or poor smith work at assembly?

I'll definetly put it through its paces before carry after I get it back from S&W. I would think that's an odd failure for a revolver. Any insight would be appreaciated, thanks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My guess is you have a burr or metal shaving in firing pin channel. It happens. Guns aren't fired repeatedly at the factory.

It is relatively easy to check and clear if you know how to disassemble the 642. But, being brand new, I'd send it back to the factory. Yes, that sucks, I know. Warranty work has happened to me too.

Smith will make it right.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

After a function check I was planing to have my local smith replace the rebound spring and polish up the internals. My safest bet now is to ship it back to S&W for a full function test. I don't want to open it up and void warranty work if it's more than a metal shaving. I'm sure It will be fine. Even if I noticed it at the LGS I would have bought it knowing of S&W customer service reputation. Thanks for your thoughts.

Anybody out there have S&W do a trigger job on a J-frame. Maybe while they have it and shipping is on them I'll have them slick up the trigger.

Ive had work done on a nib shield they sent it back perfect, they polished the feed ramp to a mirror finish and made it perfect it feeds eveything they did a ton of extra work on it than refinished the whole gun. I doubt there is a better shield out there.

Had the same thing happen with a mod 85 taurus nib. 15 rounds and it locked up. Cylinder was free but trigger wouldnt pull back. Fiddled with it a little ran 10 more did it again. pulled the side plate and found metal shavings from manufacturing the gun. Blew those out with WD-40 relubed the gun put the side plate back on its been 100 percent ever since through probably 800 dry fires and 80 more live rounds with nary a hitch. It happens though like you Id never had it happen on a revolver before.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

The 642 has a good reputation. I am sure you will be fine.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Freak things happen. I got a Glock 17 that wouldn't eject anything once but I've never had an issue with a Kel Tec and I've bought several of them. Sometimes the best make mistakes and more often than not even the low end makers get it right.

I had Smith do a trigger job on my 642 and it is like butter. If the gun is headed that way anyway no reason to not let them go ahead and do any work you were planning on having done. They really do great work and know their guns better than anyone else.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Does anyone really know about how long is S&W turnaround time? I have warranty worthy small parts for my S&W 1911 that broke/snapped off in the thinnest portion of the part I thiught I read 6-8 weeks turnaround time in the email they sent me. I'm replacing them with steel parts by Wilson Combat. Don't want MIM alloy parts.

Links