Getting OTIS patches tight enough in 9mm, 45 ACP, and in-between

This is a discussion on Getting OTIS patches tight enough in 9mm, 45 ACP, and in-between within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I've looked all over for an answer to this and I can't find it -- I'm hoping some of the more experienced OTIS cleaning system ...

Thread: Getting OTIS patches tight enough in 9mm, 45 ACP, and in-between

Getting OTIS patches tight enough in 9mm, 45 ACP, and in-between

I've looked all over for an answer to this and I can't find it -- I'm hoping some of the more experienced OTIS cleaning system users can help me out.

I've been using the OTIS pistol kit for just over a year now, and I've had decent success with it. However, it seems like I need way too many passes/patches to really get the bore clean. I recently got the rifle kit and it is MUCH tighter, to the point where I really have to pull hard to get it through. It seems to do a much better job of pulling out carbon fouling. I've used all manner of solvents, including copper solvent with a nylon brush, but the overall problem remains the same.

I've read all the OTIS instructions and watched their videos, I've monkeyed around with how I set up the patches on the slotted tip. Is there some way to really get a nice tight fit in larger calibers from 9mm up? The best thing I've found so far is to make sure and pull the middle, not the edge of the patch through the slot. It's a bit tricky to do, and hard to remove from the slotted tip sometimes, but it's a little tighter. Is that what I should be doing?

2. Remove Ads

The closer you pinch the patch near the patch holder the smaller the area coverage of the patch. Remember that you have an inside slot and outside alot of the patch for smaller or larger dia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnmanca View Post
    The closer you pinch the patch near the patch holder the smaller the area coverage of the patch. Remember that you have an inside slot and outside alot of the patch for smaller or larger dia.
    If I use one of the inside holes on the all-caliber patches, and pinch at the far opposite edge of the patch, which is supposed to be for .50 cal, it's still not very tight even in 9mm. Maybe it's just not supposed to be that tight?

There needs to be some tightness to the patch in order to obtain the full cleaning potential of the patch. This might help...
    http://youtu.be/SEgUoiGIoQI

Sounds right, you might try a 9 mm ram tip instead of the slotted tip, but with the dirty ammo we all are practicing with it takes more patchs. I use alot of brass brushes they dont seem to hold up like they use to

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I buy patches by caliber in bulk from Graf's, and will use many, many, many until they go through and come out clean. If you don't want to use so many patches run one with Ed's Red, let it sit, and then run a brass bore brush till your arms hurt, and you won't use so many patches. To me a patch it to apply a reagent, or to clean out a reagent and gunk once you have scrubbed, but not as a cleaning agent in and of itself.

I find the Frog Lubed barrels come clean MUCH easier than the ones that I clean with all the old cleaning equipment. That stuff is fouling repellant!
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I buy patches by caliber in bulk from Graf's, and will use many, many, many until they go through and come out clean. If you don't want to use so many patches run one with Ed's Red, let it sit, and then run a brass bore brush till your arms hurt, and you won't use so many patches. To me a patch it to apply a reagent, or to clean out a reagent and gunk once you have scrubbed, but not as a cleaning agent in and of itself.

I find the Frog Lubed barrels come clean MUCH easier than the ones that I clean with all the old cleaning equipment. That stuff is fouling repellant!
    I'm reading great things about the bore snakes also, and considering trying those as my primary bore cleaning method. I've also just started using Slip EWL on my guns, which seems to have the same cleaning effects as frog lube. The stuff just comes right off, even off of guns/parts I thought were clean before! I have plenty of patches, got them in bulk from Amazon, but it just seems like they often aren't doing a very good job, whereas the super tight fit in my AR-15 made for excellent cleaning. But maybe it's also the chrome-lined barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I'm reading great things about the bore snakes also, and considering trying those as my primary bore cleaning method. I've also just started using Slip EWL on my guns, which seems to have the same cleaning effects as frog lube. The stuff just comes right off, even off of guns/parts I thought were clean before! I have plenty of patches, got them in bulk from Amazon, but it just seems like they often aren't doing a very good job, whereas the super tight fit in my AR-15 made for excellent cleaning. But maybe it's also the chrome-lined barrel.
    Your kit should come with pictorial instructions of where to pinch the patch for particular calibers. If not, PM me. I think I still have mine and can send you a snapshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Your kit should come with pictorial instructions of where to pinch the patch for particular calibers. If not, PM me. I think I still have mine and can send you a snapshot.now Free
    It did, and it's also on their web site, and I've watched the videos. I think maybe they just aren't capable of producing the degree of tightness in larger calibers as they do in smaller calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    It did, and it's also on their web site, and I've watched the videos. I think maybe they just aren't capable of producing the degree of tightness in larger calibers as they do in smaller calibers.
    I've never had a problem getting a satisfactorily tight fit, but our standards might be different. Also, they may have changed their patches since I got mine (I stocked up about 7 or 8 years ago).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Go to a fabric shop, Hancock Fabrics, buy a yard of diaper material for around $3.00. It is soft, absorbent, non abrasive. You can cut them to any size you want. The stuff makes great "gun rags"...It is definitely much less expensive. The stuff is about 6 feet wide. You do the math....
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Links