Getting the lead out

This is a discussion on Getting the lead out within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I need recommendations for a solvent that helps remove leading. I'm loading and shooting a lot of lead and while CLP + lots of copper ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Jaeger
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Getting the lead out

Getting the lead out

I need recommendations for a solvent that helps remove leading. I'm loading and shooting a lot of lead and while CLP + lots of copper brushing will eventually get it all out, I'm looking for a product that I can let sit in the barrel and make lead easier to remove.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Chore Boy Cleaning Pads seem to be the popular and effective way to do it.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Hoppes and strips of a Chore Boy scrub pad wrapped around a bore brush has always removed any lead for me.
    bmcgilvray and mr surveyor like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Does anybody know the hardness rating of the grit used in the pad. I am a little leary of using an abrasive of any kind in the bore. Brass brushes are soft and won't grind on the rifling.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Ed's Red, Brownells...and lots of elbow grease. If you frog lube your barrel even lead fouling comes out easier.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Lead is inert. Nothing really eats or dissolves it (cept maybe oxygen over time like old bullets or weights in your tackle box). It's what you do to the barrel BEFORE it gets fouled that will determine how easy it is to get it back to a shiny new bore. Keeping your barrel carbon free will go a long way to keeping it from getting badly fouled with lead...IMO...

I don't think anyone's improved on the brass brush. Manilito, I think they're talking about a brass brillo pad, not a hard metal. I've never tried it.
    bmcgilvray and manolito like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Appreciate the replies, looks like the elbow grease/brass brush treatment will do until I pickup some of those cleaning pads.

All you need is the lewis lead removal tool they sell it at brownells I think it was 20.00 works awesome on my revolvers takes ten minutes no more lead. I will second the frog lube, I use it regularly an seem easier to clean all guns after a range trip

Haven't tried it yet, but I hear pb blocker work wellto keep it from clinging to the grooves.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Try M-Pro 7 cleaner. Works great for me, just spray on and let sit for about 5 minutes. Easy and no odor.

Another Chore Boy fan for bad leading in less than perfect bores. Otherwise, the brass brush and Hoppe's is still working for me.

Best to clean after every use. Beats cleaning after a build-up every time. And if one shoots several different sessions with a dirty bore he'll get a build-up.
    mr surveyor likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks Jaeger I was thinking like the 3m green pads.
    Bill

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    If you are getting lots of lead buildup, and dont have a rough bore, Id be looking at my bullet to bore fit. The only gun Ive ever had that would lead foul badly , turned out to have an over sized bore. Once I realized that and sized my bullets accordingly, Ive shot thousands of lead bullets through it without more than a trace of lead left in the bore. I very rarely shoot anything but lead. My Cowboy Match guns only get cleaned a couple of times a year. I use a bronze brush wrapped with a small piece of Chore Boy. I get very little lead out. Just my 2 cents, If the bullets dont leave a trail behind You wont spend so much time cleaning up after them. DR

Agreed danger. Bullets should be sized .02 over the size of the bore. There is a formula for bnh to pressure that mostly works. Once you get it figured out its very nice to shoot a box or five of ammo without having to clean the barrel between boxes.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Kroil?
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Links