Need some knowledge

This is a discussion on Need some knowledge within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Ok guys, I've been wanting to get my hands on a revolver here lately, and I had an opportunity to make a trade on this ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AmmoFan01
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Need some knowledge

Need some knowledge

Ok guys, I've been wanting to get my hands on a revolver here lately, and I had an opportunity to make a trade on this baby today. She is a S&W model 10 .38 Special. I don't know much about revolvers, I'm very familiar with firearms, but never had a revolver. I love the feel of this piece, and I only have a little over $200 in her. But the blue has worn down pretty much all the way, I'm not big on the blued look, I was wondering if I could just polish her up or should I just deal with it and get her reblued. I would hate to ruin the value of the gun though. Advise please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I like a blued firearm with the blue worn down, gives it character. Value is rarely increased by fixing-up an oldie. Anyone can buy a new one.
    I love the model 10, even with those fixed sights. Back when I was a RO/FI for the State Police, I used to practice shooting at a golf ball on the 100 yard rifle range.

Usually hit it within 8-10 shots. A very long time ago.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

First I would like to congratulate you because you got one heck of a deal. I have seen S&W revolvers very similar to that one go for $300-350. Getting it re-blued is an option, but if it was mine, I would just clean it up.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Administrator
    That finish is gone! If it is in good mechanical condition I would have it done in Satin Finish Electroless Nickel. Others may disagree.
    It's hard to beat a vintage S&W revolver for quality. They sure don't build them like they used to.
    In Satin Electrolees Nickel and you would have a beautiful, functional, revolver that does not hurt your eyes when you look at it.

You need to have the work done someplace where they really know guns and they won't grind it all up and destroy the nice lines.

A beautiful finished product is all about the proper metal prep work.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks. I really like the way it looks worn also. I also got the stock wood grips, and he have me about 100 rds of ammo. I'm excited about this gun. The hogue grips feel so comfortable.

Administrator
    I love honest worn BLUE but, that one is pretty doggone far gone. And it's a fairly common (though great classic) firearm.
    The base metal is in quite nice shape (it's not all pitted up) but, the original finish is completely shot in the ass.
    The perfect candidate for a satin Electroless Nickel finish.

Come on folks...it COULD look like this.

THIS...

or THIS?.....It's a No Brainer! This particular wheel gun is just NOT going to "Clean Up"
    BugDude likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I vote for the satin nickel as above...but I'd probably just carry it like it is.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I would not clean the gun, Let the pro's do it if you plan on doing the finish job. Nice gun.

Well I'm a pretty avid metal worker, I seldom pay anyone to do anything for me unless it's obvious, I mean we are men. We don't ask for directions and we take care of business. I love the satin finish though, I want more of a polished finish.

Links