Advice with cleaning/polishing a Matte Stainless Steel

This is a discussion on Advice with cleaning/polishing a Matte Stainless Steel within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I have a Matte Stainless revolver. Are there any considerations for cleaining or polishing? I want to keep the original Matte Stainless Finish does it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PAcanis

Thread: Advice with cleaning/polishing a Matte Stainless Steel

Advice with cleaning/polishing a Matte Stainless Steel

I have a Matte Stainless revolver. Are there any considerations for cleaining or polishing? I want to keep the original Matte Stainless Finish does it need to be polished?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    what type of finish is it? if't *just* a brushed or blasted finish, some compounds could "brighten" it. but you would have to apply a bunch of eblow grease to do it. i would just use whatever gun cleaner you prefer, and a soft rag. if it is something like a boron/nickel or other type of applied coating you may need to be careful what you put on it, but i can't think of a modern firearm coating, that would be hurt by a modern firearm cleaning solvent. i would more be concerned about what type of rag/pad you use to scrub with. DO NOT use green scrubby pads, DO NOT use steel wool, DO NOT use wire brushes, DO NOT use ANYTHING aggressive like that. Otherwise, you should be good!

Matte, brushed, satin... those finishes don't do well with any type of polishing. What you end up doing when you polish an area is to put a shine on that area. Then you polish a bigger area to blend it in. You might as well polish the whole gun. A soft rag and solvent is OK for cleaning, but don't polish anything. You'll never match the factory finish.
    Kavalander likes this.

Listen to PAcanis. I have a 6 inch colt trooper satin nickel plated not any more. But it looks nice shiny anyway.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinJohns View Post
    I have a Matte Stainless revolver. Are there any considerations for cleaining or polishing? I want to keep the original Matte Stainless Finish does it need to be polished?
    steel wool, of sand paper in about a 6400 or 600 grit. that's basically what a matte stainless finish is, anyway. I've done matte and mirror polish finishes on stainless steel knife blades. It's all done with sand paper, and for polished, polishing compound and a buffing/polishing wheel.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member
    Soft brush and EEZOX works well.

Links