Question regarding cleaning

This is a discussion on Question regarding cleaning within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I saw a how-to video for cleaning, and the person cleaning basically said to just spray the slide down. Aren't you supposed to keep CLP ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By th0rr
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By Exacto

Thread: Question regarding cleaning

Question Question regarding cleaning

I saw a how-to video for cleaning, and the person cleaning basically said to just spray the slide down. Aren't you supposed to keep CLP out of the striker channel? I thought it was really bad for your gun.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What's CLP?

I clean my slide the same way I clean the rest of the gun.

CLP is a do-all, cleaner, lubricant, protectant.

I use it everywhere, but I never sprayed it directly into a striker channel. I can't see what it would hurt though, as long as you shook out the excess when done cleaning.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    My recommendation is to shower at least every other day whether you need it or not!! LOL

As for my guns I field strip and clean them after every trip to the range. Not that they necessarily need it, but I like doing it. sometimes I am very meticulous and other times not so much. Depends on my mood.

As fars as CLP in the striker channel. I don't know.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    CLP is a do-all, cleaner, lubricant, protectant.

I use it everywhere, but I never sprayed it directly into a striker channel. I can't see what it would hurt though, as long as you shook out the excess when done cleaning.
    Well I've heard of people having black sludge come out of the striker channel because CLP got in there.

SR40C Firing pin not resetting - The Firing Line Forums

4th post down describes an issue with getting CLP in the striker channel.

"That oil can combine with powder residue that finds its way into the striker channel to form a sludge that can impede reliable functioning of the striker.

I suggest that you remove the striker assembly, clean it and the striker channel thoroughly, and then leave the assembly and channel dry. test for proper functioning by dry firing or, preferably, by running another box or two through the gun. "

Typically in a Glock you do not want to oil the striker channel. Gunk can get built up in there and cause issues. While I clean my gun after every range visit I only disassemble and clean my slide about every 500 to 1000 rounds. I just use a dry cloth in the striker channel. It stays mostly clean but you can get some junk in the extractor so it's worth doing every so often. YMMV.

Oh, one other thing to add is that there is a plastic sleeve down in the channel in which the striker rides so be careful when using any kind of sharp tool to get your cloth down in there. If that sleeve gets damaged then it will need to be replaced.
    american23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by th0rr View Post
    Typically in a Glock you do not want to oil the striker channel. Gunk can get built up in there and cause issues. While I clean my gun after every range visit I only disassemble and clean my slide about every 500 to 1000 rounds. I just use a dry cloth in the striker channel. It stays mostly clean but you can get some junk in the extractor so it's worth doing every so often. YMMV.

Oh, one other thing to add is that there is a plastic sleeve down in the channel in which the striker rides so be careful when using any kind of sharp tool to get your cloth down in there. If that sleeve gets damaged then it will need to be replaced.
    Gotcha. That was what I'd heard.

I wouldn't want to spray CLP down the striker channel. No need for it and just another place to accumulate gunk. (Especially if it is a Ruger SR40C and you have the magazine disconnect safety installed)
    Kentucky Dept of Criminal Justice Training Certified Firearms Instructor in Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons
    www.MakeReadyDefense.com
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Recruiter

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    Well I've heard of people having black sludge come out of the striker channel because CLP got in there.
    ...that would be when disassembly of the striker assy would be necassary... "black sludge" coming out of anywhere in a gun is usually not a good thing.

i like the 500-1000 round estimation for slide cleaning. i give my glocks a bore snake and a wipe down after every shoot, once i notice if getting really gunky in the nooks and crannies... i break her all down and deep clean.

Be careful removing the back plate from the back of the slide too, it's easy to marr that plastic. i've found shoving half of a q-tip soaked in solvent down the striker channel, and then using compressed air thru the firing pin hole to blow it back out, works very well, no sharps to harm the plastic, and the blowing air helps dry and blow out debris. there's probobly a better way and probably a dedicated tool, but that's my cost effective homegrown method.

Administrator
    Just FYI - What he is suggesting spraying the slide with in that OP Video is NOT CLP it is a degreasing solvent and that is fine to spray the entire firearm with to flush that gunk and residue out of areas.
    OldVet likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    You are correct. Don't get anything in the striker channel, it will cause, or can cause it to gum up and cause a problem.
    american23 likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    The PD uses an Ultra-Sonic cleaner on the pistols, carbines, and shotguns, which includes a dip into the lub tank which coats all the part and channels. No problem with build up, Yet! Ultra-Sonic action cleans out the channels as well as the other area normally you can't get to without a major tear down.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Below find a link to proper cleaning of a Glock 19. I dont like spray anything on my weapons. I DO like bearing grease on certain contact points.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Ultrasonic cleaners are great but they can easily ruin the finish on some guns if you are not careful.

Links