Professional gun cleaning

This is a discussion on Professional gun cleaning within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; May be a dumb question but has anyone ever carried a gun to someone like a gunsmith for a thorough good & proper cleaning? I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Professional gun cleaning

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

May be a dumb question but has anyone ever carried a gun to someone like a gunsmith for a thorough good & proper cleaning?

I have three guns that I would really love to have a deep cleaning done by someone that would takem them all the way down and clean them as they reassemble. I clean most of my guns when the mood hits which might be once a year. Some I never clean because they just sit in boxes in a safe and never have ben fired.

Just what would one have to pay for such a service?

A side note: I am sort of lazy.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I know an old guy who used to be a young guy who did hundreds of them over the years. As I remember, he charged $50 to just detail strip, clean, and put it back together lubed. Any springs or other parts that needed to be replaced were at cost. To answer your first question, no, it's not dumb. You can still find local guys who do such work or most of the manufacturers offer it as a service that you can use by mailing your gun to them and they will mail it back to you. Sig calls it their SSP.
    gatorbait51 and 1 old 0311 like this.

It depends on the gun and what is involved. I've seen it run from $10 to $35 or $50. Just call some gunsmiths you trust and ask. $10 for a super simple, $50 for a deep clean.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Average rate around here is $30.00.
    Waste of $$, you should do it yourself.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

A couple of years ago someone told me the LGS was charging ten bucks to clean a pistol. I don't know what all was invloved. Knowing him he pulled a bore snake through it and wiped it down with CLP.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    A couple of years ago someone told me the LGS was charging ten bucks to clean a pistol. I don't know what all was invloved. Knowing him he pulled a bore snake through it and wiped it down with CLP.
    A "cleaning" for $10 would either be that or the guy doing it is an idiot. The time alone is worth a lot more than $10, even before calculating a profit.

One of the LGS here advertises cleanings for $35, but I don't know what that includes or how far they get into it. Don't know what type of gun you are thinking about having deep-cleaned, but if it is a matter of knowledge on dis-assembly and re-assembly, there's a lot of Youtube videos that would probably walk you through it step by step.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    One of the LGS here advertises cleanings for $35, but I don't know what that includes or how far they get into it. Don't know what type of gun you are thinking about having deep-cleaned, but if it is a matter of knowledge on dis-assembly and re-assembly, there's a lot of Youtube videos that would probably walk you through it step by step.
    The three guns I am considering are: S&W 25-5 S&W 686 S&W 36

If the price is not too bad, I might let a S&W 422 be cleaned.

I am wondering if a gunsmith uses better chemicals than might be available to us over the counter.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wouldn't want to disassemble a revolver or my S&W Gen 3s (too many fragile little parts) so one day they may get a special treatment by a pro. I'll tell them they're getting a massage before I take them in.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I heard a tip somewhere that if you have to enter an area (like a state, Canada, or something) and your gun is is prohibited then one option is to leave it have professionally cleaned- apparently such a service is not a transfer so there is no FFL hassle and it's secure.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I've taken my ppq down to clean everything. Some guns I just wouldn't take past a certain point. SRs for example are simple but very easy to mess up on reassembly. I sent a used p238 to sig for cleaning because the previous owner had so much frog lube paste on it the trigger and striker plate were green
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Most stores that say they clean handguns sonic clean the same as jewelry stores clean rings and bracelets.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    I am having the Model 12 done this way, she's pretty rough and obviously did not have the TLC a fine old Smith should have . I want to make sure this revolver is dead bang perfect for Little Miss Accountant .
    StormRhydr likes this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post

I am wondering if a gunsmith uses better chemicals than might be available to us over the counter.
    Detail-stripping a revolver is not that bad, as long as you are careful and patient. There's a lot of info online to assist. I haven't been into my J-frame, but I usually detail-strip and clean my K- and L-Frames (the ones I shoot) maybe once every 2 years. The internals haven't really changed much in the last 30-35 years that I can see, aside from a few small things. I'm not really sure if I need to do it...I probably put about 1,000 rounds per year through my S&W 620, and it really doesn't get that grimy inside. That's with reloads. On the other hand, if you're not that patient or curious, then $35 isn't too hateful. If you decide to do it yourself, you'll want to invest in a extractor rod clamp (Brownells - and there are different sizes for revolver frame size) and a high-quality screwdriver/bit set (so you won't round off the cover screws). The extractor rod clamp works a LOT better than vise grips to get the extractor rod out of the cylinder.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post

By the way, I'll envy you the 25-5. I'd sure like to add one to my collection one of these days.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links