Oil and/or Grease?

Oil and/or Grease?

This is a discussion on Oil and/or Grease? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Very confused with this whole process. Are you supposed to use oil AND Grease at the same time to lubricate your pistol? Oil OR grease? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Oil and/or Grease?

Oil and/or Grease?

Very confused with this whole process. Are you supposed to use oil AND Grease at the same time to lubricate your pistol? Oil OR grease? I've seen cleaning videos that use oil and the gent sprays everything, where other articles I've read say to only spray the parts that move (or check with your manual for what to lubricate).
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Pay the MOST attention to your Owner's Manual (and LESS to internet chuckleheads). IMHO, more failures are attributable to OVER lube in the wrong places (collecting grime, fouling & pocket-lint) than to under lubrication. Me, I usually save the grease for slide rails.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'll use a good gun oil on everything except for my M1 Garand, which specifically calls for grease. I would stay far away from mixing the two.

Manuals usually specify what to use and where to put it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I only use grease on the slide rails and around the tip of the barrel. I oil the barrel and the spring for the mag release and some moving parts like the trigger.
    Rockymonster and gatorbait51 like this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

All I use is Ballistol.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Pay the MOST attention to your Owner's Manual (and LESS to internet chuckleheads). IMHO, more failures are attributable to OVER lube in the wrong places (collecting grime, fouling & pocket-lint) than to under lubrication. Me, I usually save the grease for slide rails.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he say's^^^^^^^^^^^^
    deaconswife and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

10. Using a soft cloth moistened with storage lubricant, lightly apply
    lightweight gun oil to all the external surfaces of the metal parts.
    The polymer grip does not require lubrication.
    11. Apply one drop of lubricant to the locations shown in Figure 20
    and Figure 21.

http://www.fnhusa.com/files/7913/764...anualFinal.pdf

Page 33
    My confusion is what "Lubricant" is, since it could be grease or oil. I'm guessing it's grease since oil would migrate to places where I don't want it to be. So is it common to use both oil AND grease when lubricating a pistol?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IxI_DUCK_IxI View Post
    My confusion is what "Lubricant" is, since it could be grease or oil. I'm guessing it's grease since oil would migrate to places where I don't want it to be. So is it common to use both oil AND grease when lubricating a pistol?
    You want oil. I've never seen "drop" used to describe grease, and when grease is called for, I've only seen it as "Apply grease along part X or in part Y."
    CWOUSCG and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    I only use grease on the slide rails and around the tip of the barrel. I oil the barrel and the spring for the mag release and some moving parts like the trigger.
    Thank you, I think this answers my question. :-)

This helps. I picked up oil but not grease....which is why I'm asking.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    You want oil. I've never seen "drop" used to describe grease, and when grease is called for, I've only seen it as "Apply grease along part X or in part Y."
    Thank you! I don't need grease at all then
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I was using Hoppe's oil and TW25b grease for awhile and have gone to oil only; CLP or M-Pro7. As long as you're cleaning your gun frequently enough, you could use either or both. There's too much hype over what lube is the "best" (I hate that 4-letter word). If I have a situation where there appears to be more than simple sliding going on AND it seems that oil isn't staying put, I'll put some grease at that spot(s). You won't hurt anything experimenting. That's how we learn.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IxI_DUCK_IxI View Post
    Very confused with this whole process. Are you supposed to use oil AND Grease at the same time to lubricate your pistol? Oil OR grease? I've seen cleaning videos that use oil and the gent sprays everything, where other articles I've read say to only spray the parts that move (or check with your manual for what to lubricate).
    Generally, the owner's manual for your particular gun will clarify what the recommended procedure is.

In the past, I've occasionally done a decent oil for most of the gun but a lighter grease on the rails (to avoid dripping in hotter weather). Worked nicely enough. Didn't seem to adversely affect the performance or reliability.
    DanielC and gatorbait51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If it rotates or pivots, I oil it lightly with M-Pro 7. If it slides, I grease it very lightly with Montana Xtreme gun grease.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    [QUOTE=IxI_DUCK_IxI;3117536]Thank you, I think this answers my question. :-)
    QUOTE]

My pleasure.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    If it rotates or pivots, I oil it lightly with M-Pro 7. If it slides, I grease it very lightly with Montana Xtreme gun grease.
    This says it all.
    I happen to use either Ballistol or EEZOX, on the 1911 a little synthetic high temp wheel bearing grease on the slide.
    Won't break down from heat, waterproof, etc. A few bucks for a tub to last longer than I will.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links