Kahr not firing in cold HUGE PROBLEM

This is a discussion on Kahr not firing in cold HUGE PROBLEM within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; This weapon has never run anything but flawless until all this cold hit. I generally leave this one in the truck (until I had the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Kahr not firing in cold HUGE PROBLEM

Kahr not firing in cold HUGE PROBLEM

This weapon has never run anything but flawless until all this cold hit. I generally leave this one in the truck (until I had the issue). I had pulled the trigger in about a week probably so I unloaded it and attempted to dry fire and nothing. Sounds like I can hear it trying to fire but will not. Once inside and warmed back up, no problem... I tore it down and cleaned it and tried the weapon in my truck after about 30 minutes and same thing. I cant have a firearm that I cant trust when its cold out. Big problem...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Our Glocks all fire fine in any weather.

(You knew someone was going to say that, didn't you?)
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

How cold was it? Many firearms malfunction if they are extremely cold. Moisture in the internal parts can freeze, causing the gun to malfunction. IWB carry can combat this (the gun stays warmer).
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Our Glocks all fire fine in any weather.

(You knew someone was going to say that, didn't you?)

My glock 23 is also fine in any weather but the Kahr WAS more of a summer gun
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    How cold was it? Many firearms malfunction if they are extremely cold. Moisture in the internal parts can freeze, causing the gun to malfunction. IWB carry can combat this (the gun stays warmer).
    Initially it was VERY cold, but today it didnt get that cold in the short time that I left it out there... typically that is how I carry this weapon.

A Google search shows that several other people have had the exact same problem with their PM9s, CM9s, and P9s. In all cases I have seen, Kahr has fixed it and paid for shipping both ways. It's not clear to me whether they replaced something or just changed the lubricant.

Administrator
    The Kahr was protesting the irresponsibility of being left in a vehicle...

I'd say it's probably more of a lube issue rather than a gun issue. What are you using?
    "Just blame Sixto"

hoppes

Ive never oiled the firing pin or channel. I should also add that when it is malfunctioning, it doesnt even "click"

Quote Originally Posted by Vuva3rae View Post
    A Google search shows that several other people have had the exact same problem with their PM9s, CM9s, and P9s. In all cases I have seen, Kahr has fixed it and paid for shipping both ways. It's not clear to me whether they replaced something or just changed the lubricant.

may I ask for a link or what you used for search criteria? I couldn't find anything on the subject.

that was helpful. thank you.

When you say you tried to dry fire it and "nothing", can you be more specific as to what "nothing" means? It hasn't been that cold in Indianapolis in the past 24 hours.

ETA: Just saw your post above regarding "click." Sounds like a known problem from the links provided above. Can't imagine that it is from the temps of the past 24 hours, however. Was the gun in the truck days ago, when it was well below zero, and has stayed there since?

Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    When you say you tried to dry fire it and "nothing", can you be more specific as to what "nothing" means? It hasn't been that cold in Indianapolis in the past 24 hours.
    youre exactly right. I left it out there for about a half hour today while sledding and it reverted back to malfunctioning. By nothing I mean depressing the trigger all the way back and nothing happening. Occasionally there is an ever so faint click but not firing.

Quote Originally Posted by jworth View Post
    youre exactly right. I left it out there for about a half hour today while sledding and it reverted back to malfunctioning. By nothing I mean depressing the trigger all the way back and nothing happening. Occasionally there is an ever so faint click but not firing.
    If you took it inside and it worked after a while, then took back out to the truck today, and it malfunctioned again (while dry firing) after only 30 minutes, that would be a mystery. It's not cold-enough today for condensation/moisture to form and freeze that fast. Will be interesting what Kahr has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by jworth View Post
    Sounds to me like the lubrication you've used has seized up a bit.

Haven't shot in anything colder than about 22F or so. Haven't had problems with seizing up, beyond a bolt on a Rem700 rifle sliding a bit more slowly than usual. Can't say what 0F would do, with the same lube (variety, including RemOil, CLP).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links