Fathers Day Idea

Fathers Day Idea

This is a discussion on Fathers Day Idea within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; My dad has sitting in his closet 2 guns that his dad gave him when he passed away. And they have just sat and collected ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By flcarry95
  • 1 Post By Parrisk
  • 2 Post By MrBuckwheat
  • 2 Post By dangerranger

Thread: Fathers Day Idea

Fathers Day Idea

My dad has sitting in his closet 2 guns that his dad gave him when he passed away. And they have just sat and collected dust. Dont know how many years its been but im 19 and im certain they havent been fired since I have been alive. My plan is to take him shooting with those guns on Fathers Day. Im assuming im going to need to get them professionally serviced. So any ideas how much that will cost. The guns are 2 12 ga double barrels. Thats all i know im sorry cause i know thats no information at all they just never have been brought out.
    gatorbait51, GWarden and scottync like this.

Call some gun smiths / shops.. most smiths are good folks and if they own a shop and you are going to pick up a few boxes of ammo I would be it be free or very little
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

VIP Member
    sounds like a great Fathers day plan! I doubt it will be a big deal to clean them up and get some lube on them. Not sure what a smith will charge you but not a bad idea to have them looked over. You can pick up a few rounds of ammo when you are there.
    gatorbait51 and GWarden like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

thanks for the input guys. im hoping he likes it. we went clay shooting for my 18th birthday so i figured id return the favor :)

VIP Member
    Great plan! What Dad wouldn't like to go shooting with his son, especially when that kind of thought goes into the prep?

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Great plan! What Dad wouldn't like to go shooting with his son, especially when that kind of thought goes into the prep?
    I only say hope because he is pretty neutral when it comes to guns doesnt hate, not a fan. But i think it will mean a lot because they were once his dads and i cant wait for them to be passed along to me.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The only reason Id say stick with your plan to have them checked by a gun smith is to be sure they are safe to shoot with smokeless powder. I have several guns made before 1920 that are for low pressure black powder only. So a trip to the smith is good insurance of a great day out with dad! DR
    flcarry95 and airslot like this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Good idea! As said, do have them checked out first. I love Fathers Day, I can always count on a box of ammo from the youngest daughter!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Sponsored Links