What cleaner/lubricant/preservative do you NOT like and or quit using--AND why?

This is a discussion on What cleaner/lubricant/preservative do you NOT like and or quit using--AND why? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; There are endless threads on "What's the best/favorite/etc. gun product to use." But the reality is most of the replies are opinions and for every ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What cleaner/lubricant/preservative do you NOT like and or quit using--AND why?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Question What cleaner/lubricant/preservative do you NOT like and or quit using--AND why?

There are endless threads on "What's the best/favorite/etc. gun product to use." But the reality is most of the replies are opinions and for every "like" opinion for one product there's just as many "likes" for ay other product. That type of replies doesn't help anyone really.

So I'm going the opposite direction here, and asking: What cleaning/lubricating/preservative gun products did you try and discard--AND the reason why?

For a start, I've used most anything and everything from auto lubes to sewing machine oils to 3-in-1 oil to many gun products, and I have no particular complaint about any of them. The one product I will not recommend using is WD-40. I used it exclusively for a while in WA state and found it gummed up badly and offered almost no rust protection.

And that's my opinion. Next?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I've had little luck with dry lubes for the same reasons. I ended up using them like a sensible woman puts on perfume. She sprays it in the air in front of her and walks through it.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

WD-40 is not truly a lubricant.. for Water Displacement and cleaning items.. sucks at lubricating the same.

I remember a job where a pneumatic valve was sticking on a winch brake.. the operator and boss had hit is so bad with WD-40 there was a puddle.
    Killed the air supply, disassembled and lightly coated with proper grease, reassembled and tested.. whoopie, it opened and closed perfectly.
    Then I confiscated their can of WD-40..

In the Army we had to knock heads to cut back on the CLP.. guys would pour that stuff in before shooting and the after a several mags their firearms would gum up with powder and dust.
    Light coating is ok
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

I've only heard problems using WD-40. I know this is an answer from the opposite direction but Hickok45 says he has been using Ballistol for as long as he's been shooting, which would probably be at least 30+ years. You can find it at almost any hardware store also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WD 40 is something I stopped using on pistols and revolvers though I still use it to spray a shotgun down to prevent rust. Though when I used it I never had a pistol or rifle stop running even after being carried for a week or having run 100 rds at one time.

And ive yet to have a shotgun treated with it rust over many many years. Reason I stopped using it is its also a penetration oil and will kill rimfire or primers if it happens to get on them for long.

If not for that I would probably still be using it.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by CG1997 View Post
    I've only heard problems using WD-40. I know this is an answer from the opposite direction but Hickok45 says he has been using Ballistol for as long as he's been shooting, which would probably be at least 30+ years. You can find it at almost any hardware store also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You being from NJ., I didn't expect you to follow directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    WD 40 is something I stopped using on pistols and revolvers though I still use it to spray a shotgun down to prevent rust. Though when I used it I never had a pistol or rifle stop running even after being carried for a week or having run 100 rds at one time.

And ive yet to have a shotgun treated with it rust over many many years. Reason I stopped using it is its also a penetration oil and will kill rimfire or primers if it happens to get on them for long.

If not for that I would probably still be using it.
    The problem I had with WD is I used to wipe down my guns with it after cleaning and before going into the field. On one hunting trip in a light snow, my shotgun barrel rusted after being exposed for 10-15 minutes. This after a wipedown at the truck. I broke down the gun afterwards and found all sorts of gunk inside. That was enough for me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Ballistol or EEZOX on some, Mobil-1 and high temp synthetic wheel bearing grease on some.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I have used to many to remember...I only use Eezox.

Distinguished Member
    I used to use M pro cleaner and lube, didn't like a 2 step process for cleaning/lubing my guns (I'm not the biggest fan of spending time cleaning guns). Used them till they were about gone, the little bit left is in my range bag for back up.

Have some hoppes #9, not a fan of the toxic smell, but still use every once, once in a while.

Used some sewing oil last summer when I was sweating all over my gun every day, just would wipe down the slide everyday. Still ended up getting rust around my rear sight. Stopped using that anywhere near my guns.

Been using gunzilla ever since, pretty content, might try something different when it runs out.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    Ballistol or EEZOX on some, Mobil-1 and high temp synthetic wheel bearing grease on some.
    Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    I have used to many to remember...I only use Eezox.
    Did you guys miss the entire point of this thread? What lubes do you NOT use?

As for me, I no longer use RemOil because I heard it was a poor lubricant.
    miller_man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You being from NJ., I didn't expect you to follow directions.

The problem I had with WD is I used to wipe down my guns with it after cleaning and before going into the field. On one hunting trip in a light snow, my shotgun barrel rusted after being exposed for 10-15 minutes. This after a wipedown at the truck. I broke down the gun afterwards and found all sorts of gunk inside. That was enough for me.
    I dont wipe the shotguns down either storing or going out in rain etc. I spray them lightly and put them up. If going out hunting Ill hit the one Im using lightly the night before but dont wipe it down then either.

I never had the gunk problem either but heard enough folks saying they had, plus having to be sure it didnt get on the primers that I finally stopped using it on my pistols.

If the shotgun dont go off shootin at a rabbit no biggie. The handguns are all SD EDC guns so if they dont go bang it IS a biggie
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I no longer use Remoil because CLP is just about as cheap and noticeably thicker.

Not a big fan of Remoil. It seems to be a gunk-magnet.

Hoppes is too syrupy.

Slip 2000 is all I buy anymore...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    As for me, I no longer use RemOil because I heard it was a poor lubricant.
    Rem Oil is on par with the sewing machine oil mentioned above; mineral oil. I may use it at the range (prefer CLP) and for storing non-carry guns. It wipes down clean, and dissipates after a while. No build up, and enough protection in the safe. I believe the Ballistol MSDS says it is also mineral oil based.

Anyway, I don't use Rem Oil when I am going to carry.

I stopped using Shooter's Choice, and Hoppes when they both started to disolve the finish on my workbench.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links