Did not believe it till it happened to me

This is a discussion on Did not believe it till it happened to me within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Was cleaning my weapons I had taken out for the day an noticed the feed ramp on my .45 was a little rough. I got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Did not believe it till it happened to me

Did not believe it till it happened to me

Was cleaning my weapons I had taken out for the day an noticed the feed ramp on my .45 was a little rough. I got the brasso an dremel an made it slick as glass. After I put it together I put a full mag in an it would not feed at all. After I hit it with the palm of my hand it fed, no matter how hard I slingshot it it would not feed, no matter which ammo I tried. Now keep in mind never had a problem before. Than I remembered a thread on this forum where someone said the ramp needs to have a little friction to work, at the time I thought this was bunk but what the heck. Got my emery cloth an ruffed it up just a little. I was shocked feeds great. Still not sure of the dynamics but it works. The old saying is true if its not broke dont fix it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Great outcome, but always remember. If it's on the internet it's got to be true!!!!
    gatorbait51, american23 and Cnon like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member

Can a smart gunsmithy type please elaborate on this one?
    gatorbait51 and Hoganbeg like this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Was cleaning my weapons I had taken out for the day an noticed the feed ramp on my .45 was a little rough. I got the brasso an dremel an made it slick as glass. After I put it together I put a full mag in an it would not feed at all. After I hit it with the palm of my hand it fed, no matter how hard I slingshot it it would not feed, no matter which ammo I tried. Now keep in mind never had a problem before. Than I remembered a thread on this forum where someone said the ramp needs to have a little friction to work, at the time I thought this was bunk but what the heck. Got my emery cloth an ruffed it up just a little. I was shocked feeds great. Still not sure of the dynamics but it works. The old saying is true if its not broke dont fix it.

Over 2 million USGI M1911s and M1911A1s did not have glass smooth feed ramps and they worked fine, my two still do with todays "modern hollow points."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member
    OD got it right!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I, too, would like to hear an explanation of why that could be. This is the first I heard of it.

Incidentally, when you "slingshot" the slide it is propelled forward by the spring so the force is theoretically the same each time if you are pulling it all the way back as you should be.
    Hopyard and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Don't feel bad. The engineers at Rolls Royce probably felt the same way.

See, Chyrsler had the best automatic transmission of the day. Rolls Royce bought the patent/licensed it from them, whatever.

So the Rolls people got a number of Chrysler automatic transmissions, and took them apart. They were aghast at what they found.

They observed that the insides of the transmission parts (the inside of the housing, as I recall), were not finished. Ie rough metal.

So they ground it all down, till they were smooth as glass, as befits Rolls Royce parts, whether they are seen or not.

And of course, what they got were transmissions that would not work. They had assumed that it was "sloppy & slip shod" work from Chrysler, and that they wouldn't tolerate that nonsense, and in the process, Rolls Royce destroyed a number of perfectly good transmissions, lol.

Administrator
    The majority of feed related issues in the 1911 are either with the extractor or to a lesser degree...the magazine.
    If your 1911 does not feed smoothly suspect the extractor first.
    If the rear of the cartridge has trouble/difficulty moving up into the extractor then the bullet nose cannot physically feed smoothly into the chamber.
    And then you will either have a hesitation in the feed or a jammed feed.

The frame feed ramp actually has very little to do with how efficiently the 1911 feeds as long as it has been factory milled to the correct specs.

If everything else is correct then the frame feed ramp does not need to be highly polished but, it should not make any negative difference if it is highly polished. I have never heard that the frame feed ramp needs friction in order to insure a flawless feed.

All photo credit to Rogers Precision

feedrampd.jpg
    This feed ramp example by Rogers is about as perfect and highly polished as it gets and his 1911 handguns always feed.
    This is ideally how your barrel feed ramp & frame feed ramp should relate to one another when the barrel is seated and fully to the rear.
    Notice that the bottom of the barrel chamber feed ramp is spaced away from the very top edge of the frame feed ramp.
    Make sure that your barrel is not overhanging your frame feed ramp or even with the top edge of your frame feed ramp.
    Also the bottom edge of your barrel chamber mouth (the edge that your cartridge slides over as it enters the barrel chamber) should be very slightly broken and polished.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

A classic case of taking something that isn't broken and fixing it until it is. Corporate America does it every day...so does out Govt.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The majority of feed related issues in the 1911 are either with the extractor or to a lesser degree...the magazine.
    If your 1911 does not feed smoothly suspect the extractor first.
    If the rear of the cartridge has trouble/difficulty moving up into the extractor then the bullet nose cannot physically feed smoothly into the chamber.
    And then you will either have a hesitation in the feed or a jammed feed.

The frame feed ramp actually has very little to do with how efficiently the 1911 feeds as long as it has been factory milled to the correct specs.

If everything else is correct then the frame feed ramp does not need to be highly polished but, it should not make any negative difference if it is highly polished. I have never heard that the frame feed ramp needs friction in order to insure a flawless feed.

All photo credit to Rogers Precision

feedrampd.jpg
    This feed ramp example by Rogers is about as perfect and highly polished as it gets and his 1911 handguns always feed.
    This is ideally how your barrel feed ramp & frame feed ramp should relate to one another when the barrel is seated and fully to the rear.
    Notice that the bottom of the barrel chamber feed ramp is spaced away from the very top edge of the frame feed ramp.
    Make sure that your barrel is not overhanging your frame feed ramp or even with the top edge of your frame feed ramp.
    Also the bottom edge of your barrel chamber mouth (the edge that your cartridge slides over as it enters the barrel chamber) should be very slightly broken and polished.
    All my 1911's have polished ramps like that shown. I've never heard roughing a feed ramp to make it work either. I've always flitzed my 1911's in this area with the exception of the Ed Brown
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Not sure if this makes a difference but the barrel is ramped on mine, another words the ramp in part of the barrel
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Administrator
    If anybody has a 1911 that hesitates on the feed sometimes a simple solution is the TRIPP RESEARCH CobraMag. You can check out their website and find out why. I am tired of typing today.
    AzQkr, OldVet and gatorbait51 like this.

Administrator
    You have a barrel with an integral ramp? Like this one below?
    Then make sure that you do not have a hard sharp edge where the barrel ramp turns into the chamber.
    A hard sharp edge there can catch the cartridge case edge on the way in.

But, still I would look at the extractor and make sure that it is not over tensioned and that the extractor hook is not cutting into your cartridges.
    Also you might want to install a fresh recoil spring possibly a # or 2 heavier but then you'll need to shoot it for function before you carry it.

gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    If it is working right now, QUIT FOOLING WITH IT.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Chorizo, I did just that, than called manufacturer an they emailed me shipping label they were awesome basicly said let us take a look make sure everything is all right. Cant beat that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links