Has anyone experienced CLP evaporation?

This is a discussion on Has anyone experienced CLP evaporation? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I've been using CLP as a lube and HAD been shooting my guns usually no more than 1 month between cleanings. One of my handguns ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By Chorizo
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: Has anyone experienced CLP evaporation?

I've been using CLP as a lube and HAD been shooting my guns usually no more than 1 month between cleanings. One of my handguns hadn't been used in about 3 months and when I went to get it ready for another range trip, the didn't feel "normal". A quick break-down and inspection showed NO oil. I KNOW I oiled it well (as I always do to each gun after a range trip) and that would be the longest the CLP had been left to sit since I've started using it so I can only assume it's the CLP. Any similar experiences?

Yep.

Here in AZ, I can't rely on any oil to last indefinitely on my guns. The ones which see frequent service get checked for lube fairly often. On the semiautos, I generally use medium-weight Slide Glide on the sliding parts and CLP on the rotating parts.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I've still found the surfaces fairly slick after 1mo. Haven't gone 3mos without, so I couldn't say. But it wouldn't surprise me. Particularly in warmer, lower-humidity climates.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Take 'em out and see how they shoot before relubing if you want to learn something. There is Teflon or PT something or other in CLP that still provides good lube on the surface even when it is dry.

What " wet " CLP does is keep the residue soft and easy to clean. But, carbon is a lubricant in it's own right, so you should be good to go with any firearm that has had it applied, unless , you plan on shooting the snot out of it and getting it very hot.

I've taken my AR to the range after months of storage and fired several 30 round mags without an issue.
    Try it and see just for your own piece of mind. Worse case scenario is you have to squirt a little juice to it.
    Best case scenario is you find it's good to go.
    Last edited by glockman10mm; April 6th, 2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Chorizo, OldVet, Aceoky and 3 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What Glockman said. The volatile liquid is just a carrier for the L & P and is the C of the CLP
    GWarden likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It's likely that the "liquid" carrier spread out over time more so than evaporated. The more fluid the lube is the more quickly it disperses. Thus the reasoning for heavier grease on slides as it stays put. Most modern lubes are designed to leave a residue, so like Glockman said, the lubricant protection is probably still there.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

glockman10mm hit it right on the head. While you may not see the sheen of "wet"oil there is still a film of lubricant and rust preventative there. That's one of the pluses for CLP is that after the evaporation of the carrier it doesn't attract nearly as much dust and dirt when the surface is dryer.

I've used CLP exclusively for decades and never had an issue with any gun after the film drys. It just works.
    GWarden likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. On another forum, one member stated that he found the CLP (I'll assume the carrier) was gone on his guns in as early as 2 weeks. I also have some MPro7 and wonder if the same applies with it, too. But I relubed the gun before I shot it yesterday morning and then relubed it afterwards. I'll likely be back at the range in 2 weeks so I'll inspect the lube before hand and see how she fires as-found. Again, thanks.

I have been using Militec I have no issues with it . I sip it on and off, the gun operates like it is wet with lube. I have put 400 rounds through my 1911 without any mishaps. Normanly I clean it after 100 but I wanter to see if it would do it.
    When I carry it for long period of time it doesn't collect dust on the lubed areas like wet oil will.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Distinguished Member
    I'll insert my plug for EEZOX in here. Never had any issue with it.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

EEZOX... another product to research. A guy could go nutz.

I'll be relubing with Hoppe's oil and TW25b grease like I used to until I find info to change... again...

I use grease, oil evaporates and runs into places you don't want it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

VIP Member
    Get Breakfree's LP

It has no carrier solvent (no C of the CLP, just the LP)

Does not evap off and does provide very superior lubricant.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Sponsored Links