CLP and Oil?

CLP and Oil?

This is a discussion on CLP and Oil? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Currently I am uisng G96 Gun Treatment CLP, for both cleaning and lubrication. G96 also has a Military Grade Synthetic oil. Should I be using ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tubadude
  • 1 Post By sonnycrocket
  • 1 Post By Rock_Castle
  • 1 Post By JDavisArk

Thread: CLP and Oil?

CLP and Oil?

Currently I am uisng G96 Gun Treatment CLP, for both cleaning and lubrication. G96 also has a Military Grade Synthetic oil. Should I be using that on the nessary points on my M&P 40 Shield, or is the CLP enough?
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

I used a CLP exclusively (without any other additional lubes) before I switched to FireClean without any trouble.
    patri0t likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I used a CLP exclusively (without any other additional lubes) before I switched to FireClean without any trouble.
    +1 I use CLP under the Winchester & Safariland 'brands'. Still have every type of powder, copper solvent, & many types of oil, but the CLP is the norm.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    CLP does a great job of cleaning and protecting but I also like to use syth grease on the slide/rails
    because I dont feel CLP offer's anywhere enough lube in its compound as its comes out of the can
    techieccw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    CLP does a great job of cleaning and protecting but I also like to use syth grease on the slide/rails
    because I dont feel CLP offer's anywhere enough lube in its compound as its comes out of the can
    That's exactly what I was thinking

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    My son is sending me some Ballistol for Fathers Day he and his buddies started using it because they are river runners and he says he loves it and I did not know that it was still being made it has some history and its sold on Amazon.

CLP is it. My Glock doesn't need a whole lot of lubrication, and the CLP provides more than enough.
    JDavisArk likes this.

CLP is pretty much a complete ordeal. At least the CLP I remember was standard issue in service. We all have our own personal preferences on the gun cleaning ordeal since there are so many products on the market these days, but when it comes down to what you need to use in the bush for everything to maintain your weapon it needs to be rather simple and effective. CLP is just that even though I have recommended other products in the ideal world in the past. In the field keep it simple and effective. I hope I've answered your question.
    techieccw likes this.
    So you want a holy war? How many holes would you like?

How often are I you reapplying clp? It sees as though it evaporates quickly curious if you pu are reapplying weekly?

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I used CLP for many years and I liked it until I tried a 50/50 mix of synthetic Mobil 1 and Marvel Mystery Oil. IMO it works much better doesn't attract dust/ dirt and makes cleaning easier. There are definitely other more expensive options available but, they are not necessarily better. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

This answers my question right here.

What is the difference between G96 Gun Treatment or Gun Oil and G96 Synthetic CLP Gun Oil?
    Synthetic CLP Gun Oil has been approved by the US Military (MIL-PRF-63460E) whereas Gun Treatment is not an approved product for the US Military. Gun Treatment and Gun Oil are petroleum based. The Synthetic CLP gun oil is synthetic based. The Synthetic CLP Gun Oil is 85% biodegradable and contains no VOC's. Synthetic CLP Gun Oil only comes in a liquid form whereas G96 Gun Treatment is available in either a liquid bottle or an aerosol spray can. Synthetic CLP Gun Oil has slightly better cold weather specifications. Synthetic CLP gun oil is rated at -74F and Gun Treatment is rated at -50F. Synthetic CLP Gun Oil has slightly better corrosion protection and slightly better clean up after firing. Synthetic CLP Gun Oil has Corrosion Protection from Propellant Reaction Products Both have excellent properties for Preservation protection for long and short term. Neither product will evaporate. Neither product will thicken or congeal.

Links