Switch from a petroleum based CLP to a bio or synthetic based CLP

This is a discussion on Switch from a petroleum based CLP to a bio or synthetic based CLP within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I have read that bio based firearm cleaners and lubes do not work mix well with petroleum based products. What is the best method to ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By techieccw
  • 1 Post By Ianthin
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: Switch from a petroleum based CLP to a bio or synthetic based CLP

Switch from a petroleum based CLP to a bio or synthetic based CLP

I have read that bio based firearm cleaners and lubes do not work mix well with petroleum based products. What is the best method to clean the petroleum products off. This is for a NON-gunsmith. I don't feel comfortable taking it any farther down than field strip, as described in the manual. I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 40 Shield.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

2. Remove Ads

Any good gun cleaner should do just fine. I have used brake parts cleaner on a couple to really get it good, but you have to be careful it won't damage the finish. Sig actually recommended it to me to clean out the factory lube gunk on a P250 I bought last year.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Use "non-chlorinated" brake cleaner. Or mineral sprits will do. Just use in well ventilated area.
    bmcgilvray and ccw9mm like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Alcohol. The instructions should have suggestions too.

Any weapon solvent will work, I use MP7 as a solvent works great than I use froglube clp to lube it all over than wipe down with a towel.

Links